back

part two of wait.

as soon as those words leave the doctor's mouth i try and push past him to get to chaeyoung but he very quickly stops me.

"you can't see her yet," he says.

"why not? she's my wife, i need to see her," i argue.

"she hasn't asked to see you so i can't let you in."

"i don't care if she hasn't asked for me, as soon as she sees me she'll want me there."

"no, mrs. park."

i can feel my anger rising by the second and i have to take a deep breath before i yell at the doctor.

"please, i need to make sure she's okay," i plead.

"i would love to take you there but i can't without her permission. she only asked for mr. park."

my head snaps to chanyeol and he immediately shrinks under my gaze. i don't mean to glare at him, though, so i shut my eyes as i remind myself it's not his fault chaeyoung asked for him. it's just because he's her brother.

"can i go with him and wait outside?" i ask instead.

the doctor shakes his head. "i'm sorry, mrs. park. she has specifically asked not to see you."

my heart shatters in my chest but i somehow manage to hold back the tears threatening to fall.

"why?" i whisper.

"i don't know, ma'am, she didn't say," he says.

"i'll go and talk to her, okay, (y/n)?" chanyeol offers, patting my hair gently. i want to argue but i know chaeyoung is stubborn and if i show up when she doesn't want to see me she'll be upset.

"fine," i relent. i watch chanyeol leave with the doctor then turn to junmyeon with a frown. he pulls me into a hug and i involuntarily deflate into his chest with a sigh.

"i'm sorry," he whispers. "i'm sure chanyeol can convince her to see you. she'll come to her senses when she knows that you want to see her."

i really hope he's right but i have no idea if chanyeol is going to be able to get through to her.

i don't know what i'm going to do if she doesn't want to see me. what if she doesn't remember who i am? what if she doesn't remember us getting married and thinks we're not together? what if-

"(y/n), i can hear you overthinking," junmyeon says with slight amusement. "chaeyoung loves you. it's probably just that she's in a lot of pain and doesn't want you to be around that."

"i know that, deep down i do, but this is all part of our wedding vows, you know? in sickness and in health. she could have died today, and she still possibly could, but she doesn't want to see me."

i feel junmyeon sigh and i know that i'm probably annoying him with all of my worrying.

"we'll just see when chanyeol gets back," he says.

i agree and keep my face buried in his chest, praying that chaeyoung will want to see me to pass the time.

chanyeol and chaeyoung's doctor get back about ten minutes later and gives me a soft smile, though i can tell he's been crying.

"she said you can go," he says, sniffling. i sag in relief and thank him profusely before asking the doctor to take me to her room.

"please make sure you're prepared before you go in, okay?" he says to me as we approach chaeyoung's room. "it's going to hurt you to see her like this but you need to be strong for her. if you freak out, she might freak out and her body can't handle that."

the thought terrifies me because i know i am going to freak out but i promise to try. the doctor doesn't love my answer but agrees and opens the door for me.

the sight of chaeyoung on the bed surrounded by monitors and covered in casts is more painful than i could have ever imagined. she is obviously awake but she looks pale and half dead. my heart feels heavy in my chest as i walk over to her bedside and she turns her head to look at me. the second she sees the tears in my eyes, they begin to form in hers too and my heart breaks even further.

"don't cry, baby," i whisper.

"i hate seeing you cry," she replies. her voice is really raspy, probably because of all of the tubes around it, and if it was any other time i would have found it sexy.

"how are you feeling?" i ask as i sit beside her.

"i'm pretty numb at the moment but i think that's a good thing."

"yes, i think so." i reach out to take her non-bandaged hand and she immediately laces her fingers with mine. "why didn't you want me to come in?"

"i didn't want you to see me like this," she says. 

"i understand that but you're my wife, chaeng. i vowed to be with you no matter what and that includes when you're like this. i'm glad you're alive obviously but hearing you didn't want to see me made me really upset."

she sighs, her face scrunching up with a wince at the pain that it causes.

"i know, chanyeol told me and i really am sorry." she stops but then her eyes meet mine again and i see a frown on her face. "he also told me that you had a breakdown."

i look down at my hands in embarrassment but nod. i could have lived the rest of my life without her knowing this. "the doctor just told me that if you woke up you might not remember me and... i don't know, i guess i just broke. i was terrified that the last two years of our marriage had gone down the drain. i couldn't handle the thought of you not knowing who i was. i hate that it happened but i just love you so much."

i hear chaeyoung sniffle and when i look back up at her she's crying. i immediately reach out to wipe her tears away and she nuzzles her face into my hand.

"i'm sorry i worried you," she whispers.

"no, baby, it's not your fault," i assure her. tears begin streaming down my cheeks then and i have to blink them away just to be able to see her. "i don't blame you for anything, none of it is your fault. i am so sorry that it happened to you and i just can't wait for you to get better so you can come back home with me."

chaeyoung smiles through her tears so i do it back before leaning over and placing the softest kiss on her lips.

"i love you so much," i whisper.

"i love you, too," she whispers back. "but i'm tired."

"i know, my love. get some rest and i'll be back when you wake up, okay?"

"okay."

with one more kiss, i leave her room and let her nurse know that she wants to rest. the nurse thanks me so i nod before heading back to where all of our friends are waiting.

when i walk in, they all lift their head and begin to bombard me with questions. i answer the ones i can but once they've stopped, i begin to feel really exhausted myself. junmyeon offers to take me back to mine and chaeyoung's apartment and while i don't want to, i figure it's the best idea and agree. i know i need to be rested for the next time i see chaeyoung.

after giving my number to chaeyoung's main doctor to let me know when she wakes up, junmyeon and i leave. we ride back to my apartment building in silence and once we're there, i thank him before trudging up to mine and chaeyoung's apartment. i flop bonelessly onto the bed when i reach it and within a second everything goes dark and i'm out like a light. the last thing i remember before i pass out is the sense of relief knowing that chaeyoung is back and as okay as she can be.

i hope you like this! it's still a little angsty but with a happier ending :)