snowboarding

this is a request but i'm really sorry, i don't know who requested it. i was deleting old DM chats and accidentally deleted this one too...so if this is yours then here you go!

"i don't think i can do this," rosie says as i bend down to help strap her foot into the binding of her snowboard.

"yes you can," i assure her. "you've snowboarded before."

"yes, but in case you don't remember, lisa and i gave up pretty quickly."

i chuckle, thinking back to the video of the last time rosie tried to snowboard. i didn't know her back then, we didn't meet until a couple of years later, but i've seen that video multiple times. it was really cute watching her try but ultimately give up in favour of messing around with lisa and drinking hot chocolate. that's my girl.

"don't worry, we'll take it slow and i won't leave your side," i say. standing back up, i gently tug her towards me by her puffy jacket and place a soft kiss on her lips. her cheeks are all puffed up from her helmet and balaclava and when i pull back from the kiss, i grin at her pouty lips.

"do you remember what i showed you earlier?" i ask. she looks unsure but nods once, eyebrows furrowed. "you've got this, babe, i'll be right behind you the whole time."

"i'm still scared," she says.

"i know, but we've made it all the way up here so let's just give it a try, yeah?"

again, rosie gives me an unsure look but she has no other option but to try as we're already at the top of the hill. it's only a small hill for her first try but the easiest way to get down is to just go for it. rosie lets out a harsh, shaky breath before rolling her shoulders and getting into position.

"good," i say. "now just kick off gently and follow your body down the hill. don't worry if you stumble, i'll be here to catch you."

i follow her as she slowly starts down the hill, arms out wide to try and balance herself. she stumbles a little on her first turn but just as i reach out to catch her, she corrects her position on her own. 

"good job, that was perfect," i tell her, hoping she can hear how impressed i am in my voice. i think she can, if the smile on her cute cheeks when she turns again is any indication.

she descends the rest of the hill smoothly and once we're down at the bottom, she immediately throws herself on me, knocking us to the ground with a soft 'oof'. i laugh, wrapping my arms around her waist and squeezing encouragingly.

"i did it!" she says.

"you did, baby, you were amazing," i say. she grins widely at me, leaning down to smack a kiss on my lips. when she pulls back i lift a hand and flick the tip of her nose gently. "ready to go again?"

she nods and rolls herself off me, reaching down to unbuckle her boot binding while i do the same. i push myself off the ground first when i'm done then reach a hand down for rosie to pull her up as well. 

"same hill?" i ask.

"for now, i want a bit more practice," she says. i smile at her then we make our way back to the same hill and hop on the chair lift.

we go down the same hill a couple more times until rosie feels a bit more comfortable and once she does, i ask if she wants to try one that's a little bit harder.

"how hard?" she asks. looking around the hill, i point over to the next easiest run which is just a little steeper than the one we were just on. i see a hint of apprehension in her eyes as she takes it in but after a few seconds she nods.

"are you sure? we don't have to," i say.

"no, i want to," she says, determination laced in her voice. "i can do this."

"exactly."

we make our way over to the new hill and the whole time we're on the chair lift up, i can see rosie getting more nervous. just before we get off, i reach a hand out and squeeze hers reassuringly, giving her a soft smile when she turns to look at me. she returns it as we hop off the lift and prepare for the next run down.

"do you want to go down first?" i ask as we buckle our boots again.

"maybe it's best, just so you can catch me if i fall over," she says. "just don't run me over."

i laugh, shaking my head softly. "i'll try not to."

once we're ready to go, rosie blows a kiss to me before setting off down the hill, still at a decently slow pace. i follow not too far behind her and watch proudly as she glides down the hill without any issues.

when we first started i honestly didn't think we would get to this point. sometimes when something doesn't go right for rosie the first time she tries she doesn't really want to try again. i wasn't sure how today's session was going to go but she's taken to snowboarding so easily, it's really impressive. i couldn't be prouder.

when we reach the bottom of the hill, rosie shoots around and lifts a hand for a high five which i gladly give her. i link our fingers together and bring her hand to mine to kiss the back of it with a wink

"look at you, my little professional snowboarder," i tease. she grins proudly and the sight makes my heart clench uncomfortably in my chest.

"wanna go again?" i ask.

"can we take a small break and get some food?" she asks.

"sure," he said. dropping our gear off at the outdoor racks, we head inside the lodge and sit down at the closest table where i immediately take one of rosie's hands in mine.

"i mean it, baby, you've done incredibly well today learning everything so fast," i say.

rosie blushes softly, eyes dropping down to our linked hands as she plays with my fingers.

"it's only because i have the best teacher," she says. i grin and lean in to kiss her nose. "now, go get me some food because i'm so amazing."

----

after eating some lunch, we head back out to the hill where we spend a few more hours getting rosie more confident enough to the point where she could be able to comfortably do the medium-difficulty hills. when we both get too tired to continue, we pack our equipment up and head back to our apartment where we take a much needed shower to soothe our aching muscles.

later that evening, when we're tucked up in bed, rosie suddenly pipes up.

"so, now that you've taught me how to snowboard, i think it's only fair that i get to teach you how to dance, right?" before i can disagree and point out that was never part of the plan, she continues. "i know you say you don't want to but i think it's only fair after what i accomplished today."

i let out a slightly over-dramatic sigh but nod. i can never say no to her.

"fine," i groan. rosie giggles and reaches a hand out to pat my cheek.

"can't wait, babe."