Chapter 28- the laughter of the Gods.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods.

-Albert Einstein

"Argh, what's happening in Delhi?" Sakshi frowned as she cut the call, asking to none particular. Near her Shree and Chotu looked up from their files quizzically.

"What happened?"

"My colleague is going to Delhi. There has been another body in gutter, bludgeoned to death. Face is unrecognizable." She shuddered, "He says the killer ruined it with acid."

Shree gulped in distaste while Chotu winced, "It's like, horror film quality."

"Is this a serial killer?" Shree asked, "It's like, 5th body in this week, right? Same M.O. of face ruined beyond recognition."

"Any suspect?" Chotu asked.

"Nope." Sakshi shook head, "Really, what's up in Delhi? First that shoot out, then this serial killer? It seems that the Doom of city is here."

The boys chuckled, "You are already making up headlines." The IT head teased.

The trio talked for a while about the bizarre murders and killers fascination with face ruining and dumping bodies in gutter. Sakshi simultaneously bashed Police and boasted if ETF handled this case, they would have solved it. Chotu pointed out that chances of that are, if not impossible, but slim. Normally they don't go beyond the state. If Police turned out incompetent, CID will handle it, then CBI, by then it will be stuck and files will be closed. The duo were still arguing over it, when the door banged open and ACP Mukherjee appeared. Before she could even keep one foot inside, she paused and took out her phone, frowning, which only deepened when she saw something in her phone which looked like a text. She turned sharply around, without looking up from her phone, and directly collided with the Director herself.

"Look where you are going, will you?" She scolded lightly. The ACP gave her a look, before proceeding to walk away, only to be stopped by the former.

"Now where are you going?" She asked in exasperation. Still not uttering a word, the ACP put her phone up in air for the Director to see. Whatever it was, she was not happy.

"I was just missing these sudden disappearances'." She deadpanned. Rolling her eyes, the ACP walked away, putting her phone inside and stabbing at the elevator button as she stood near it.

"What's up with the mute vow?" Sakshi asked jokingly as the Director entered. Beside her Chotu and Shree went back to their files, looking as if they had never stopped, eyes on the file but ears on alert.

"Why, you missing her sugary sweet voice?" The Director replied, the question dripping with sarcasm. The duo's lips twitched in amusement.

"Wow. Apparently, sarcasm is contagious." The crime journo muttered. The former rolled her eyes before asking about the absence about the rest of team, to which Shree replied how several minutes ago they got news that the husband of their latest victim surrendered in the local PS, confessing to the murder of his wife, and the senior officer along with Second-in-command went there to check on it. Nodding, she left, the crime journo following suit because she had to finish an article to be published the next day.

The slow day made the hours felt like they were engaged in a competition of who can be the slowest. Around evening the team called it a day earlier than any other day, stepping out as they made plans on how to use these rare hours before any case drops and ruin their plans. Sakshi chatted away with others on the new restaurant that opened last week near ETF, requesting the Second-in-Command to drop her there with a cheeky smile in between, to which the Man nodded, his mind and fingers busy hovering over a particular number and if he should call. It has been several hours that she left, and while it was not anything unnatural, but he felt he should check on her.