Chapter 25 - Oh, what a tangled web we weave

Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

- Sir Walter Scott.

He was waiting in the Airport for the announcement of his flight, when the headlines in the newspaper caught his attention.

He paid in cash for one of the leading English national newspaper and started reading, the corner of lips twitching as he went. Not that the headline was anything amusing, but of course, he is not a normal person.

He is Azeem Haqqani. Most wanted in 4 countries, suspected in dozens of assassinations and countless massacres. He takes pleasure from the news where media belittle Government and Law enforcement agencies and ask where the culprits are.

Well, he is here, is not he? Dubai International Airport. Come and get me, he wanted to shout, but settled for folding the paper and tucking it under his arms as he leant back, the small smirk in the same place.

Not that his name was on the paper. But the stunt he pulled with Indian Intelligence Agencies, RAW mainly, letting out the GPS of a burner phone which was traced right back to him, he was pretty sure for the 'Shoot out' in South Delhi 3 weeks back, he is in the list of suspects. Why RAW didn't let his name out, or covered the reality about the shootout, he guessed, and the satisfaction increased. He felt pretty powerful that time, bringing down an entire nation on his knees.

He plans to do more, if possible. Only if Islamabad lets him loose . . .

But now, it was time to pull another stunt. 3 weeks and Indian administration was getting bashed left right and center for their inability to capture or get a suspect for that shoot out, both from media and public. From his ears in various part of World, the RAW was as clueless about him as they can get. He was enjoying this cat and mouse game greatly, now it's time to raise the stakes. Show them just how much damage he can do.

Show himself.

The flight announcement occurred and he got up, dragging the wheels of his suitcase behind him as he moved ahead.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Why I am here come again?" ACP Mukherjee mostly spoke to herself in irritation and exasperation, looking around her.

"Because the Director could not make it." Shree pointed out.

"She promised her whole team will represent her." Sameer carried on.

"Whole Team." Rawte emphasized. She gave a half glare to him.

"Yeah. Got that." She replied sarcastically, ducking her face as she cursed Aisha and her promises.

The invitation for the Charity ball came in this morning, personally delivered by the manager of the event organizer, Ashok Dixit. He was accused of murdering his wife 2 years ago, way before Riya barged through the ETFians life and turned it upside down. ETF cleared his name that time, and he is returning the favor now, also showing off to his benefactors and social circle how far he can reach inside Government administrations. The party was every bit of 'Hi fi" as Chotu had termed. The vast amount of invitees swam inside the giant party hall, like half the city had turned up for the occasion, and it was not only Indians. They could hear chatter in American English, mumbo jumbo which sounded suspiciously like Japanese, and some other South Asian languages. The grand hall was decorated with chandeliers, rare orchids and white roses, the air smelt like champagne and high fashion and sounded like Jazz. It totally had to do with those musicians on the podium in the corner of the hall who looked as drowned in their music as these people in their bubble.