Chapter 16- Murphy's law

In any field of endeavor, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Murphy's law

It's a universally known fact, that a situation shitty like this, will only need more reasons to become shittier.

Keeping aside the mocking on Miss Austen's writing hundreds of years ago, it's truth. Even Murphy said anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. And he also said when one thing is going to hell, all will go to hell also.

Only if the mortal human had a slight idea what version of hell to expect in the recent future . . .

Granted, Riya was living in a constant place of hell from years. Things look good for some moments until the inner guilt trip starts and she could not breath. She has become so good in self loathing and brooding that it almost gave her hero complex like those superhero comic characters. She didn't sign up for this hell, but she was in it and she won't get out of it until she finish the reason of this guilt trip once for all.

But even she knew the moment she came up with the idea of making her own informer squad, she was signing up for something that will surely blow up on her face.

It was a blissful 4 years and several months with her squad, until it was not.

Her contact details are usually discreet, only known to several people like this team and a certain old man who is also the Commissioner and often (most of the time) make her listen to him. That's why when this afternoon during coffee break a new number flashed in her caller ID, she went stiff, already knowing whatever this is, this can't be good.

It's a good thing she was never the one for social etiquette, like 'Excuse me' or 'Sorry' . . .

As soon as she pressed the phone close to her ear, ready to blast the other person, came the rushing rail like flowing words, fast and desperate, "Please don't cut the call. I got this number with great difficulty."

She should have cut the call, or should not have answered it in the first place, but she did and curiosity was a bitch, "Who's this?"

"I am Javed. I got this number from Junaid. He is my brother. Please, you got to help me. Can we meet?"

It was because of that curiosity and the responsibility she feels for the people whom she dragged in her personal mission and endangered constantly she agreed to meet. She had no reason to suspect it was some kind of trap, and even if it was, she can take care of herself. She didn't meet him that day, already on the bad book of the Director due to taking off in odd moments. She snorted, like she was ever in the good book to start with. The next day work was slow and her Boss gave them all time off, so she texted Javed, telling him to meet behind the parking lot of a new Mall that was yet to open.

Javed was already there when she reached, pacing in circles, hands rubbing together in nervousness, ocassionally adjusting his glasses which slide down his nose. He frowned when she stopped near him, suspicious of her.

"Yeah, I am the one whom you talked to." She started, "So, what's this all about?"

"I got your number from Junaid." He started, but she cut him off.

"You told me that earlier. Why this meeting?"

He huffed, in two sentences she was able to make herself disliked by him, "He needs a favor."

That was a new, she thought to herself but didn't say anything, waiting for him to speak again. He obviously hoped her to say something, but when she didn't he closed his mouth, little irritated at her lack of response like he had hoped.