Chapter 6 - Secrets are like puzzles

Secrets are like puzzles. One can't sit still until it is solved. Even when one is distracted, the puzzle finds its way to crawl back on surface.

- -

She won't ever learn to knock, Director Kapoor thought to herself as ACP Mukherjee banged the door open w/o any warning and stood across the table in the middle of room. She eyed the door as it closed itself, and then looked at her.

"Its for you." she handed over a brown sealed envelope, which the ACP took, narrowing eyes. she tore it open, and her eyes ran over quickly on the documents inside. She then raised her eyes to meet the other woman.

"It came directly from Raghu sir this morning, his PA personally delivered it." she leaned on the table, resting her frame on elbows, "and he said to see if there is anything you need, and make sure you have it on hand."

"I need the day off." ACP said without missing a beat, to which the other frowned.

"What's this?"

"He didnt tell you." she frowned, posing the statement as question, then gave a smirk to which the other woman rolled eyes.

"I am asking you. what's this about?"

she didnt answer, adding more to the annoyance and curiosity.

"Riya." she warned, but at the same time there was a knock on door. she narrowed her eyes yet again as the ACP swiftly but with quick efficiency put all documents inside, not letting the Director to see anything by mistake. The latter gave permission, and Rawte entered inside.

"We have a case." this was directed more to ACP than Director.

"She is not available." the latter stated, "She is running some errand for me."

The man looked suspiciously to the ACP, who was looking straight to the Director.

"Is there anything else, officer?" The Director more like dismissed him by the rhetorical question. he shook his head and left, closing the door quietly behind him. immediately after him ACP Mukherjee headed for the door.

"Are you going to tell me whats this about?" The Director tried one more time, though knowing very well whats going to be the answer.

"No." the other woman answered, opened the door and headed outside, banging it close behind. The Director sighed, not feeling very well about the whole arrangement, then glanced at the phone, making up her mind to call and ask Raghu sir about this little arrangement.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"VT station." Aslam got inside the taxi in a urgency, looking behind through the glass. the taxi driver started the vehicle w/o any word, heading toward the city cutting through the darkness and slums.

Aslam was so engrossed in his thoughts that he completely missed the way the taxi was going, instead heading for city it went more deeper into slums. as he started protest about the way, demanding it to stop, the taxi headed for a field in middle of nowhere, finally stopping.

"Who are you? where am I?" he immediately started shouting as he opened his side of door. he was barely on his feet, when the taxi driver came out, punched him on jaw and then kicked in the shins. he was kneeled down the next moment, fearful for a moment the news of his running away from city has reached his head of gang and he sent his best to kill him here. but he frowned as he looked up, the taxi driver was not a boy or man, but a girl, barely of mid 20s, holding a gun whose cool metallic barrel was now touching his temple, with fire in eyes.