Chapter 42- And in the end

And in the end

Rahane felt a violent urge to scream and kick something at the same time.

He had planned. He had bloody planned for every possibilities. Every outcomes, every plan of actions. He had poured each and every moment for this mission, and yet in the end, it went horribly wrong. It's not that the Magician, Neel Sahay, had bruised his ego and bested him in his familiar surrounding. He also might have cost his job and drive him to madness.

Momentarily turning away from his dark thoughts, he looked around him.

ETF team looked in shambles. The IT guy, Shreekant, was getting first aid by a lady with curly hair. He stared into nothing but even from the distance, Rahane could see his hands shaking. ETF Director was busy on call, most likely with DIG Ram. The Senior inspector, Rathore, looked blank, and beside him, Rawte stood rigid, as if ready to bolt. The giant man, who they called Chotu, blinked rapidly, not understanding what to do next.

Nobody knows what to.

He was yelling and running when the snipers went off. They had lost contact with Riya, there was no sound or video from her bugs. The idiots were supposed to be on standby, but the moment they lost vision they started shooting. Rahane never felt so scared in his life, not even when he had thought he was going to die in Delhi. He could not even begin to imagine the possibility that they might not catch Neel, but hurt Riya fatally instead.

But she was hurt. They all had gathered in the warehouse and then they heard Shree's moaning through the comms, and rushed towards him. The hysterical young man was on floor, his glasses broken, and the first thing he said when they took off the tape from his mouth was Riya was injured. But he didn't have to. There was an alarming amount of blood inside the van. The Lady doctor, Liza as ETF director called her, had said they will test for the blood group, but there was no need. They had an eye witness.

What Rahane did not understand how did he go so wrong. He really was counting on a terrorist's emotions for his former lover. God knows if it was even genuine from his side. He should have done better. Now he had possibly taken her hostage, and there were thousands of ways he can get his way out of this. Threat them with Riya, or maybe coerce Riya to help him. His heart did not want to go there, but he was a RAW agent. He had seen the horrors, he knew the possibilities. Especially if Neel was trained by special people, he will know the tricks.

The moment he had thought about Hydrabad, the ETF director had spoken, "We need to contact her family."

Rahane straightened his spine and turned to her, "No." The Director was, understandably, confused and slightly on edge.

"It's her family. They deserve to know."

"It's classified and there is no need." This is the one thing he had promised her. They were a high profile family and they are not to be dragged into this, not until they have a conclusion on this matter.

"Classified? That's all you care for?" She was yelling at a RAW agent in middle of nowhere and she was one team mate down who was injured, but there was no way of knowing to what extent, but Aisha did not care. Riya was taken and the one person in the whole world who was close to her was her Grandma. She deserved to know what's going on. She could not believe Rahane could be so heartless, but then, she should have. He was here only for his agenda.

He was stung at the accusation in her voice but let it go, as she was understandably upset, "You have no knowledge of what I care or not. Besides," He looked around as the Director flushed slightly, "staying here is futile."