Chapter 38- When love is in excess

Euripides said, "When love is in excess it brings a man no honor nor worthiness."

Sakshi could not stop smiling, and it grated on his nerves.

The moment he had agreed for the lunch Arjun had realized what a colossal mistake it was. Of course, she would take it as something else- a sign that he is reciprocating whatever she harbor for him. Since the time she had joined ETF, she had left breadcrumbs and neon signs to reciprocate her feelings, and he was always good at ignoring them, often rudely. But for some reason she never gave up, and because of his stupid mistake she might think it all were worth it.

It is all too easy to blame his slip on Riya, but it was all him. He was absent minded and did not think twice about what he was saying, thinking this distraction was all he needed. An afternoon away from office, what's better? It only when he went home that he realized what it would mean for Sakshi, and now it was too late to back out.

Hot water poured on him as steam filled in the shower, Arjun standing under there as if the scalding temperature would ease off some of his anxiety. Supporting himself against the wall, he sighed- but the moment he closed his eyes, all he could see was Her and could hear her harsh words.

One thing that is certain after their . . . fight is too less of a word to describe. Fallout is better, but not accurate. But one thing is certain, whatever partnership they had was gone now. The end. He can never look at her with the same adoration or awe as earlier, and the way she spoke to him pretty much told what she thought of him. It hurt, so much that it felt like it would split him in half, but that's what it is. He always believed that if one cares about another, he or she should also accept the way other person is- good and the ugly, the whole package. Neither he is strong enough to handle her darkness, nor she is ready yet to see the light now. Seeing her struggle would hurt, but he would be brave, he has to be. He can't let himself be that much vulnerable now, can he?

But, the pressing matter remained- the lunch. Sighing, Arjun turned off the shower, ready to be done with this once and for all.

That Sakshi was happy would be an understatement, and her infectious smile spread to everyone in office. She loudly greeted everyone good morning, often checked herself in her small mirror kept in make up kit and smiled widely at whoever that will ask why she was so happy. The more she smiled, the brooding of Arjun went worse, and of course Sam noticed.

"What's special, Sakshi?" He teased, side eyeing Arjun who sat inside his cabin across the bullpen but kept his eyes inside the meeting room, "A hot date?"

Her blush told it all, but nothing could prepare him for the next couple of words, "It's Arjun!" If speechless was a word, that would be Sameer Rathore in that moment, and the complete anti thesis was Sakshi who could not stop herself from sharing. Attempting a feeble smile and 'Good luck', he left the room in the pretense of meeting the Director, barely making any sound on the former's usual teasing on Aisha.

Dear lord, he thought to himself. This was a mess. He gave a look to his best friend sitting inside his cabin, who, very conveniently, looked busy in his file. Fine, if that's how its going to be. He is not going to barge in there and lecture. If this was a mistake, he would rectify.

And then he wondered if this was something Arjun actually wanted and looked back at Sakshi. His eyes looked around, searching for the other half of this mess, and once again Riya was missing from the crime scene. Internally groaning, he decided to head back, enough of the office drama for the day.