Chapter 7 - Human mind is a funny thing

Human mind is a funny thing. One moment it negates all type of humane things as weakness, but whenever it gets hint of something it tries to hold onto that.

--

"My Bosses are not going to be too pleased with these appointments." ACP Mukherjee walked into the Central jail as if she owned it and said to Raghu sir, who along with his PA and several other officers were talking in hushed voices in the hallway. their heads whipped toward her in surprise, but not Raghu sir who merely gave a look.

"Save your breath Riya, there is something important." He walked to her, the others following him in a hurry. They all walked in a direction, and after some turns and twists reached infront of a door. as the PA pushed it open, he asked, "what excuse you gave this time?"

she looked away and he shook his head.

"I am telling you, you going to ruin the relation between ETF Director and police commissioner."

"oh please. . . " she stopped as they all entered inside. the opposite wall was half covered by a one way glass, on the other side Iqbal was sitting on a chair, hands tied with handcuff, looking bruised and dishelved, not the swift personality from those surveillance pictures.

"Excuse us." He said to other officers, who nodded and exited the room one by one, even the PA. Raghu sir pulled a string behind and the glass was covered by shade instantly, and then he turned on the light, facing her, whose eyes were fixed on the glass as if she can see through it.

"You told me Johny was coming back this month, but not sure when. Now his gang head is in jail, the chances are minimal he will come back to city."

she looked at him sharply, eyebrows narrowed. he took a breath and continued.

"But he have resources in this city, so there is a chance for him to come back. He needs a reason to be back, not resources."

"What you suggest then?" she is always the one who comes up with plan, but this time she wanted to hear him. he took out a phone.

"Officer Sahani. . . that middle aged police officer with bald head? you noticed?"

she tilted her head and gave a look to which the old man sighed.

"of course, you dont care. . . he suggested something. what if Iqbal call Johny with an offer he cant refuse? then he will have reason and resource to come back."

"What he has to offer now?" she waved her around, "he ended up here."

"What if he offer Johny to take over the gang?" Raghu sir dropped the plan, watching her reaction cautiously as she thought about it. she gave another look toward the covered glass, fingers tapping lightly on her forearm.

"And why would he do that?"

"because we will force him." Raghu sir answered in a stern voice, to which she smirked, "I want you inside, but be careful, no physical violence."

"Spoilsport." she muttered and started heading out, behind him he exhaled a breath, then followed her as well.

Iqbal raised his head, startled, as the door of the interrogation room banged open and entered two police officers, one male and in uniform, and the other a lady, in civil dress who was present on the night of encounter which landed him in here. he glared at her, to which she looked unaffected.

the male officer then started to read the charges on him, asking if he accept any of these, and he kept quiet. he knew he will be in jail for maximum 3 months, he will hire the best lawyer and he will be out on bail soon. he had the plan ready in mind, these boring procedures dont have any importance to him.