Chapter 25

The sheriff drives me back to the diner after securing my weapon. "Did you have to kill him?" Cracking an eye open I stare at the man with a slight glare.

"Next time I'll just let him pin me to my truck." I drag my left hand through my hair with a grimace. I need a shower, badly.

"That's not what I mean Dakota." Waving him off, he sighs as he pulls into the parking lot an ambulance already working to remove the man from the car. "I'll call another ambulance." I grunt and shake my head kicking my door open.

"Don't bother I'm not taking it." My eyelids slam closed as I take a deep breath feeling the open wounds. That sucked.

"You need to-"

"Dakota!" The deep guttural voice brings a smile to my face and I shake my head slamming the door to the patrol car.

"Calm down Cowboy." I grunt and force myself to walk towards my truck, needing some rags to wrap up the wounds.

"Calm down? What the hell - Piss off Perez!" Digger hollers as he climbs under the police tape marching my way. I chuckle at the young man as his eyes widen and he steps back slightly, intimidated by Digger's stature. "Little Lady, what the hell happened?" He asks as he walks up to me, cupping my cheek and I chuckle patting his hand.

"Sheriff, you care if I go get stitched up?" He looks at me and heaves a sigh throwing his hand up in frustration.

"I'll give you a ride, I have questions to ask you." Shaking my head I wince as I halt that movement quickly.

"Just ask here and do it quickly." I don't need to have you snooping around me for a few days. He pulls out a notepad, flipping it open.

"Do you know them, why did they want to fight you?"

"No, I've never seen them a day in my life. All they said was that I needed to learn a lesson and they were going to teach it to me." I shrug and stare at him as he writes down my answer.

"Do you have any enemies?" I can only stare at the man with an arched brow.

"I made enemies for a living; what do you think?" The sheriff stares at me for a moment before a scowl rests on his features unamused.

"I mean stateside." I shrug and give him a droll look.

"Make that clear next next time. As far as I know, no, I don't track the assholes who have a stiffy for me. That's not my issue after the file has been closed." He shakes his head and writes down the answer.

"You had a fight recently, who was it with?" I stare at him for a moment before rolling my eyes as I shove my hands in my pockets. Careful to not close myself off.

"I didn't catch their name, I can't be bothered to keep track of a low life who wants to step to me. I sent them walking with their tail between their legs." Now I'll be sending them home real perty, I don't mind jacking their jaw again. Maybe making a phone call and a statement.

"Do you have a description?" He asks and I stare at him.

"Nope, last I saw I fucked their face up. Not really something I remember." He looks up at me with a blank look.

"You're kidding right?" I offer a shrug turning to look at Digger.

"Can you get some rags out of the tool chest in the bed of my truck?" I asked him with a gentle smile, he arched his brow but nodded after a moment.

"Yeah. I'll get it." I nod, taking a moment to admire his form as he jumps into the bed of the truck with ease.

"No, I'm not kidding Sheriff. I don't remember assholes who try shit with me. I don't got the time of day to be wasting on that shit. I have a life that I have to pay attention to. Are we just about done here?" Digger jumps from the truck, muttering curses under his breath as he grabs my injured arm wrapping it.