Chapter 7

Making our final lap around the arena I heave out a sigh, rolling my head around to crack my neck. It's been a good workout for Harley and I, I chuckle thinking about it. Harley has been a dream, for such a young horse, he's learning great. Harley is one horse that needs one person to be his owner. He's already started attaching himself to me, if I'm honest I've already dedicated myself to him. Harley has been a much needed project since I got discharged. "You guys look good, he's coming along." I nod walking Harley up to the fence to talk with my father.

"He did great today. I got to get him ready for the ride around the property. I want to take him with us. It'll be interesting." I chuckle. I'm not sure if it's a smart idea to take him on a long haul ride, but we'll figure it out as we go. I need the distraction and the extra work, well I'm not afraid of either. The new ranch hand Scotty, leads in one of the newer geldings to the barn. And that's my que to lead Harley out of the arena. I watch Apache look around with a wild look in his eyes.

Scotty hasn't figured out the best way to go about breaking a horse of it's bucking habit. If he was smart about it, he'd be working Apache in the round pen. Getting some of that energy out before attempting to hop on. I stop Harley by my father, watching the show that's about to go down. "I'm surprised you're letting him work Apache." My father remarks with a chuckle making me grin and shake my head at the man.

"Scotty said he wanted to train his horse. Said he knew what he was doing. When he saw Apache he said that's the one for him." I shrug once more, Scotty needs to learn how to train a wild guy like him. I know Scotty can work a horse for their ground manners, but he fairs about the same riding as Ryan does. They ride too stiff, always expecting something to happen. I don't understand how it's comfortable, personally I'd prefer to be one with the ride.

"I'll admit Apache's a good horse, I just don't know if Scotty is ready to train him. Mustang's are a little too wild for a newbie." I can only nod slowly, Apache is still a bit wild, and might be too much for Scotty to handle - training wise.

"I said I'd help him. There ain't no shame in asking for help training horses. I still remember needing to come ask you for help with my first project horse, Fortune." I watch as a grin blossoms on his face with a nod Fortune is still one of my favorite horses. She's gotten up there in age at this point, and isn't fit for the hard work of running cattle all day long. She's still a great trail horse, I can put anyone on her and she'll just truck along happy as a freaking clam.

"She's a good ol' girl. You've come a long way, far more advanced than I am training a horse Kota. That's why people pay you the big bucks to fix their horses." I chuckle shaking my head at his statement. My phone rings and I pull it from the clip answering it.

"Yeah? What can I help ya with?" Hearing a masculine chuckle come over the line, makes me pause to look at the number, I don't know it. I place it back to my ear, confused with who's calling me.

"Well that's one hell of a warm greeting little lady, I thought I had rocked your world enough to at least get a hello." I chuckle, finally connecting the dots.

"Well hey there Cowboy, I didn't expect a call from you this soon." I chuckle watching as Scotty works Apache in a circle. Apache continues to dance away from Scotty's foot as he tries to climb into the saddle.

"What can I say little lady, you caught my eye. When can I see ya again, I think you stole my favorite shirt." I chuckle shaking my head.

"How do you know it was your favorite?" I question hearing the laughter in my own voice.

"That's easy, I know you left your dress here. So I can only imagine how my shirt hung on you. I hope you know you gotta give me a show in that one." I shake my head with a grin, he's a flirt and I'm all for it.