Chapter 17

"You'll need to sign some papers, I already have all of his papers and info." Jerking my head I drop my hands, walking away from my father and the prying eyes.

"Do you really think that you can save him?" Nodding without looking at her I head for my office above the barn.

"I do, believe it or not what you saw was more than a crazy horse trying to get me killed. Is he dangerous? Yes, but he hasn't always been dangerous. He's stopped trying to bite me and run me over. These are all good signs, it's just going to take time." It's probably going to take more time then she's willing to pay for. The longer I work with horses, especially for breaking them. Or the dangerous ones, it tends to be more expensive.

"Kenneth says he should die." Walking up the steps, I roll my eyes.

"Well he might be dealing with little man syndrome. I'm crazy, I take on horses who are one step away from kill pens." He's probably pissed off that I managed to make more progress than he did. Not many guys like to be shown up by a girl, it does something to their ego.

"Do you think that I can continue to come and visit him?" Pushing open my office door I let her walk in first.

"Sure, you're more than welcome to come and see his progress." Now I'm going to need to start using his name. I hate trying to save a horse only to fail. It breaks my heart having their name seared into my head as a failed attempt to save a life. I'd rather keep it general than know their name as a fail.

"Thank you Dakota." I nod opening up the filing cabinet I hunt for the right papers. Finding the right documents, I head for my desk, filling in what I need to. It only takes a moment to get it signed on my end. Slipping the documents towards I start to peel off the vest, tired of it. The once light grey tank is soaked with sweat, I need a shower and badly. Pulling off my chaps and other protection gear, I'm glad. I'm not sure if Digger and them want to go riding or not. I'll just pull my chaps on anyways. Holstering my weapon, phone, pager and two way radio.

"Is that all I needed to sign?" I nod, clearing my throat as I look over the paperwork.

"Yeah you're all set, I'll send you a copy, unless you want to wait another minute or two?" She nods, pushing her hands into her pockets.

"I can wait." Figures, starting my computer and printer, I copy the document into the computer before running off another. "Thank you Dakota, it's really been nice working with you." I give a smile before nodding. Shutting down the computers and printers before making our way out of the office.

"Of course, I'm happy that we could come to this agreement." I didn't want to see Oakley shipped off to a kill pen. That's just a disgusting way to go. There's no pride in going out that way. Kassie walks towards her car, listening to a bickering Kenneth, that man's an idiot.

"I don't know if I want to ride a horse now." I look over towards Digger and the gang as he calls them.

"Why?" Digger lets out a laugh wrapping an arm around my shoulder and giving me a kiss.

"Don't worry Red, Dakota won't put you up on a horse like that. She likes the wild rides." It takes me a moment to connect the dots.

"Oh Oakley, no he's a project horse of mine. The horses I put y'all up on will be dead broke, something you guys won't have to worry about riding." The horses I have out here for personal use are heavily trained. When I train a horse I want them bomb proof, any rider can get on and not have to worry about dying.

"What was that about with the lady?" Digger asks, making me adjust the straps on my chaps.

"She sent him here for a week, wanting to see if there was any hope of keeping him from a kill pen. I made some major headway with him when she wanted to pull the cord and ship him off. So I bought him instead." I'm sure there will be days where I'll want to throw in the towel, but I see a bright future ahead of Oakley.