Chapter 30

I pull away from him with a heavy sigh as I head for my liquor cabinet, grabbing two glasses and some whiskey. My eyes catch the mini fridge and I grab some ice. This is going to be an interesting conversation. "It's that good?" I shake my head, pouring us each a glass and handing him a bag of ice.

"There's some history. I didn't think that would make him mad at me." There wasn't anything she could do.

"What happened?" I glanced at him and looked towards the door with a sigh. Digging up old dirt.

"Do you know what happened to his mother?" I turn the conversation, pausing to figure out how deep I need to go. How much history am I dragging up?

"Not really, she was killed." He offered and I had to sigh, rubbing my features. Wonderful, from the beginning I take it.

"She was." I nod and take a sip of my whiskey thinking carefully. "Tara, his mother, was Knuckle's obsession. He married her sister Cara, Tara knew Knuckles was abusive and tried to help Cara escape. It worked until Cara believed Knuckles was sorry. She passed away from a car accident, manufactured car accident." I respond and watch as he nods slowly.

"I know there was a rough patch with his aunt and her husband. You're saying he killed her?" I offer a slight shrug as I settle on the desk.

"I can't prove anything, but with the age of the car, recent mechanical work has been done to it. I'd say it's highly unlikely the brake lines were worn down. It's even more unlikely to have it spontaneously combust, from the trunk." Cars, if they are going to go ablaze, tend to do it from the engine where there's combustible liquids mixed together. I watch as his eyebrows raises quickly.

"Yeah, doesn't sound all that possible." I shake my head in answer.

"Nope, not at all. At that time the Police weren't being run by an honest man at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if at the time a few bills were traded under the table." Then again it took years for that corrupt bastard to get out of his cushy chair.

"So that explains why Angel was dealt with that way." He mussed softly making me look at him with an arched brow.

"I'm guessing Angel had a run in with them?" Digger nodded in thought.

"They probably had someone talking in their ear against her." I offered and he shrugged before waving a hand taking a sip of his drink.

"Anyway, what does that have to do with your mother?" I have a hand at him.

"I'm getting there, you need some backstory before things are cleared up." I have to interject as I bring up the past, remembering it as it was. "At this point Axel and I were friends, not close but if I needed help or he needed help, we offered. My mother was sleeping with the police chief who was running an investigation on Cara's death. The man was easily persuaded, I don't know the details but some people believe she had a hand in putting the investigation to sleep. How true that is? I couldn't tell ya." Not even sure if there is more there, probably is.

"Oh wow. Is that what his issue is?" I shrug.

"That might've been where his distaste started. My mother wasn't done with the Police chief, far from it." My mind flashes, bringing me back to the past. "It was the start of senior year, Knuckles had just started the club he was supplying the town with some drugs, one of his clients happened to be my mother. She was still with the Chief and on drugs. Knuckles had his claws in her just as much as everyone else at the time. At the time no one realized just how far gone the little duo was." I muse, staring at the floor with a sigh.