Chapter 42

The service in my mind was beautiful, all it needed to be. The words that were spoken had tears in my eyes, tears I didn't fight, didn't care to fight. He's gone, he's finally gone. The flowers on the casket, a bright array of Lilies, Rose, Carnations, Orchids. It's a story of his life, of his fight and drive, the deep wooden casket says so much, the golden handles shine. Two pictures of Papa watch over the crowd, his service picture and a portrait. Nothing will fill this void.

The folded flag is held by my mother, even her eyes are watering, her newest beau holds her close, looking stoic as ever, blank eyes stare vacantly at the casket. And she thinks I'm in the wrong for Digger being here? I don't understand that, it's not like I want to understand her anyways. The crowd of people here all mourn a beloved member of the community, their eyes glitter with tears, watery smiles cover their features. All but one.

I'm not shocked that the bitch showed up, even less shocked that she almost looks like she gives a damn. If her eyes weren't glittering with pleasure, I might be inclined to think she gave a damn. She gets a kick out of seeing my tears. This only fuels my anger, fans the flames angrily. I don't know why she thought it would be smart to come here, maybe to rub it in. Maybe to make another play.

"It was an honor to serve with Clyde." My thoughts are shattered as I turn to look at an older gentleman approaching in his old air force uniform. The uniform, clean pressed, medals and patches worn proudly offers me a salute. Respect has me nodding and I offer a salute of my own.

"Thank you Sir, Papa always spoke highly of you." He loved his unit, the men he flew with. Every year he took a trip to get together and see them, the week long trip always left him refreshed and in a chipper mood. All of that is gone, forever gone. The man smiled as he shakes my hand with a friendly smile.

"He spoke highly of you too my dear, he was always bragging about his girl. You were his world." Lt Johnson offers me another warm smile, his words melt my heart as he moves on, the trail of men in uniforms slowly creeps forward as they share their own words. Each one walks away with a chunk of my heart. Dad's gone, the memories shared only dig that blade in deeper to burn hotter. Digger stands by my side, my team stands to my other side, silently supporting me.

I feel her eyes boring holes into me, into my form, her twisted amusement sets a stone cold rage burning wildly in the pit of my stomach. I meet her stare stoically as she approaches with a subdued and docile Kevin trailing after her. He at least has the sense to keep his eyes averted. "Dakota... It's a shame." She starts off and fakes a sad face, her eyelashes flutter, the side of her lip quirks up barely. Bitch. "I'm sure this is taking such a toll on you, it's a terrible loss." She tilts her head and places her hand on her heart, an act of fake sympathy.

"He was a great man and a big figure in the community." I offer her a nod as she stares at me, her eyes twinkling in victory at the cold tone in my voice. People are looking, rumors spread like wildfire around here, they all put two and two together that we fought each other. Yet she's looking pretty good since the last time I was this close to her.

"I've heard many good things about him, he sounds like a friend to everyone here." She comments with a serene smile as a couple murmur their condolences quickly, moving around the small group. The tension is palpable in the area, most stand back to watch.

"He was a character many loved and few argued with." I agree with her amicably, keeping it simple. Because I so want to pull out my weapon and fill that smug face full of lead. She offers what many would think is a pleasant, maybe even warm smile and a soft laugh.

"I'm sorry for your loss, it must be a terrible thing. Especially having to look around here for a living, the reminder must be painful." Isadora shakes her head with a sad smile. The bitch dares. If I had any less restraint I'd be choking the shit out of this thing. Keep calm, it'll all round out soon, Karma bites hard around here. "I know I wouldn't be able to stand living here, knowing this is where my Dad died." She pulls Kevin closer as I fight to roll my head and crack my neck. Or maybe just my knuckles.