Chapter 16

Tacking up the stallion I take a deep breath. It's taken me most of the week to get him to respect me on the ground. Under saddle, is a whole new beast to fight with. I'm only riding him in the round pen today, fighting with him in the arena will be a test for another day. The owner still refuses to get him fixed and that's just pissing me off more at this point. He's too angry to mate with anyone now. Getting him to sire is pointless. Any mare you pair him with will just be harmed in the process.

Hurting the mother will only lead to one thing, tragedy. I'm not looking to bury a foal, that shit won't fly with me. Shaking my head I stare at the stallion watching him watch me. I'm not taking any chances today. Training horses can get you killed, I'm not looking for that just yet. I'm aiming to grow old and crippled before I push up daisies. Grabbing my leg guards, shin and thigh, I strap on braces before pulling my chaps over it all. I'm sure someone believes I'm overreacting.

I'm also sure they haven't had their leg crushed and broken by a horse slamming their legs into a panel. Grabbing my riding vest I strap it on, grabbing my helmet and mouth guard I unhook the stallion. Wanting to get some of his energy out before I climb on him. I'll admit at the beginning of our work out I didn't have much hope for this fella to be kicking by the end of the week. Taking my time and earning his respect has gotten me farther than I thought. If I can get him fixed, in a few months he'll be less of an asshole.

That alone will be a major improvement. I think with the right person, he'll become a best friend. I can't see us working out for life partners just because I'm the mean person who's breaking all of his nasty habits. Papa walks out smoking a cigarette talking with the ranch hands. Now I'm interested in what this is about to entail. "Boys, you're gonna learn today. I'm tired of this, I can't ride bullshit. These horses are schooling your asses, not the other way around." Papa starts off walking closer as I let the stallion into the pen.

He passes the menthol cigarette to me, making me chuckle. He knows me too well. It's not a habit I'm proud of, but when I'm about to get into some shit, or just need something to keep me from killing something, I need a drag or two. "What are y'all gonna be watching this shit show?" Just what I want, witnesses to this show.

"They need to learn that when their asses stick to the seat, they won't be bucked off." I snort shaking my head, sometimes even a great seat can't save you. As I like to say, it's not a question of if, but a question of when. Everyone eats dirt when they ride horses, the more often, the more likely.

"We'll see how that goes today. The owner of this fella should be showing up today, wants to see his progress." I shake my head, putting my helmet on, I hope she shows up after we've settled into an agreement. Slipping my gloves on, I wiggle my fingers.

"What's with all the gear?" Ryan asks, looking towards my hands and vest. Passing the cigarette back to my father.

"So I don't end up in the ground. I'm brawling, the winner is top dog, and well I need all the advantages I can get." I enter the round pen, rolling my neck and shoulders, ready to enter the fight. Pushing him out to the edge, I work him. Watching as he bucks out at me, making me change his direction, getting him to move. That's the biggest key to earning a horse's respect, making sure they understand I'm lead mare, not them. After twenty minutes of him throwing an attitude and a bitch fit, he finally calms down.

Letting him walk in, I give him pats and praising him for his good behavior, finally. Grabbing the reins I clip them onto the bit, ready to get this shit show over with. Grabbing the stirrup I add pressure to it, watching as he explodes, kicking out at me. Pushing him away with a holler, he moves to the edge, cantering in circles around me. Shaking my head, at this we repeat this pattern. I can finally get him into me and decide to go to his right side, opposite from which I had been trying.