Chapter 15

Finishing with my second horse for the morning I look over seeing Ryan and Digger talking. I can only shake my head, I'm not sure I want to know what trouble they are finding. Heaving a sigh, I wipe the sweat from the back of my neck. Damn Digger, he had enticed me with the offer of lunch today. Now my stomach has been making a big deal this whole time. Shaking my head, I turned Apache towards the barn, I finally gave up on letting Scotty try and work with him.

At this point he's just ruining a perfectly good horse. Dismounting, I bring him to the cross ties. He's had an eventful workout, even managed to throw me in the dirt. Shaking my head at that, I made him work for it the rest of the time. He paid for his error, next time I'm having Scotty get on and his ass is going to be taped to the freakin saddle. Pulling off his tack I look over the saddle, it really needs to be cleaned. That's a project for another time, brushing him off I clean out his hooves.

"I haven't seen you get tossed in awhile." Ryan comes up mocking just as I grab the hose turning it on. Rolling my eyes I watch Digger follow him in looking around.

"I don't know what Scotty has done with Apache, but we are having a nice long chat." Scotty and Apache are going to be working out their differences the hard way. He wanted to fix Apache, then by hell I'll let him fix Apache, he just won't like my methods. Checking the water I spray down Apache, giving him a bath.

"I didn't think you'd get back on." Looking over at Digger I give him a funny look, why wouldn't I?

"I didn't break anything." The only time I don't get back on, and it's still debatable, is if I get knocked out. Then again, I've gotten right back up a few times. I have a job to do, I hate losing. Besides I've had worse falls.

"You really are something else." He chuckles dropping down to sit on a bale of hay. Chuckling, I shake my head and continue to bathe Apache.

"I tried to warn you Cowboy." Shrugging I listen to his chuckle as Ryan interrupts our conversation with other matters.

"Dakota, we need to talk about the second team. I have them coming out tomorrow for a tour of the place. You'll be free to meet them and go over everything with them right?" I nod, yeah it's time to get those guys situated prepared and shipped out. I'm sure the first group is getting ready to pull in.

"Yeah, I'm here all day tomorrow. I need to check in with the others. You'll be leading them out when it's time." I remind him, pointing the plastic water wiper at him. Watching as he nods at me.

"I gotta go catch Tommy and Scotty, we got a delivery coming today." I nod at him, watching as he leaves.

"What are the team's for?" Digger asks, making me look over at him. Slicking off most of the water from Apache, I finish up with his bath.

"Just some security for the ranch. It's a lotta land to keep track of, I like to be able to call people on their shit when they try something with me." Brushing out his mane and tail I apply some hoof oil letting him stand for another minute or two.

"Do you guys get a lot of trouble out here?" I can only give a shrug in answer to that.

"It depends on what you call trouble I guess. Most locals know the borders for the property but we do get the occasional tourist that wonders past the signs. Poachers pop up every now and again. The main reason for the security is for the damn developers that just can't or won't take no for an answer. So far Mr. Calgarey has been my most persistent developer, I've refused ten different offers from him." I shake my head thinking about the old man. I don't know why he has yet to take a hint. Although the new chick ain't a pleasant development. Shit's gonna go down with her and soon.