Chapter 4

"What happened to the bra I gave you? This one ruins the dress!" I hear my mother whisper shout at me, making me turn to look at her. I finally raise an eyebrow at her.

"I can't wear bras like that." I state bluntly, I've been forced to socialize with people I now consider the enemy. My father and ranch hands, my true family have been forced into a table far in the back, separating us no doubt. I'm sure it's a part of Kevin's master plan. It's about time to sit down and have our feast.

"I think this dress looks wonderful on you honey. Your tattoos make it interesting I have to agree." I look over at the two timing bastard and have to give my best I'm gonna cut you smile to him. I make sure to add enough sugar to it to get me through until I can drop my plan into action.

"Thank you, dear." Looking over I spot my father looking at me with a gentle smile on his face. I have to let out a sigh, I know my father was looking forward to this. He didn't want me to be alone. But I won't marry a lying, two timing, coward. If I ever get this man alone, he won't like the outcome, if he ever comes to see it that is.

"Are you ready to take our seats? I had the chefs prepare some delicious meals for us tonight." Kevin gives me a grin placing his hand on my back, I automatically want to come out swinging at him. Restraining myself, I let him lead me to the table, and I take care of my own chair. Taking a deep breath I plaster a smile on my face as the dinner commences, light conversation surrounds me.

And I make sure to pay attention, my mother keeps dropping hints about a fun night on the town with me Fiance. I'm having a fun night in the town. It just won't be with this idiot, but they don't need to know that right now. I'm not really sure how she managed to designate herself as my maid honor but it happened at some point. My eyes scan the crowd as dessert is passed out and I see some unwelcome and familiar faces. Kevin really is trying to push his luck, I can't believe he would attempt to do something like this.

"I would like to propose a toast to my daughter and her future husband." I turn my head to look at my mother, interested in what she has to say. "I love my little girl, Dakota. I know this isn't the daughter I had thought I'd be granted with, but I'm grateful I have been. She is a special girl who deserves an honest man to take care of her. I'm glad that you Kevin are the one." She raises her glass before sitting down once more. I have to bite my tongue and turn to look at Kevin as he stands.

"Thank you Beth, you couldn't have said kinder words. I want the world to know that Dakota O'Kane is my woman, that I'll love till the end of time. We met when I was nothing more than a poor ranch hand, look at me now. I know I can be a man that'll provide you with everything you need. Food, a warm home to take care of and a house full of kids to help nurture. You won't ever need to work a day in your life after we've married." He leans down planting a kiss to my lip, I don't respond. He sits down with a look on his face.

I stand looking at him with a sickly sweet smile. "I want to propose a toast to my ex. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be able to find myself a good man, one that doesn't lie. And certainly doesn't run around my back with the likes of my enemies." I give a laugh looking over the crowd seeing some faces chuckling others confused when I glance back at Kevin I see his shocked face. "If it wasn't for my ex being a loud mouth, I'd be making a real big fucking mistake right now. Just to clear things up, you're the ex Kevin. I hope you have fun making dealings with the likes of Mr. Callgarey."

With that I walk away leaving the dining room in silence shocked, with my actions. Who expects the bride to dump the groom on the rehearsal dinner? I can only shake my head pissed off at myself, how could I be that goddamn stupid? Snarling at myself I march my happy ass to the truck yanking the door as I hop in. I watch as Ryan comes jogging out, forcing me to roll down my window and glare at him. "What?"