Chapter 23

I lift my feet up onto the desk and lean back in my chair staring at the ceiling. The dial tone continues to drone as I wait for my call to be transferred to another idiot. This phone tag is really getting on my nerves, it's typical for the military. Nothing is ever straight to the point. I watch the fan lazily turn, the low hum fills the silence of the room. My eyes follow the slow movement as the fan continues to turn, pushing the stale air around lazily. "Staff Sergeant O'Kane, what can I do for ya today?" Thank the lord.

"Commander Jedson, I need a favor from ya." His boisterous laugh slips over the line, hiding the chatter in the background.

"It hasn't been more than a few months and you're already calling in favors." I chuckle and shake my head at the man.

"This isn't the big ticket item, y'all still have to wait for that one to pop up. Listen I need to talk to the boys, are they out on an assignment? Or just fucking off around base?" Jedson lets out a brief chuckle, I imagine the large man shaking his head in amusement.

"They're in the barracks, I'll patch you to the line." Phone tag continues. I shake my head at the thought.

"Thanks Jedson."

"We'll have to catch up sometime O'Kane, stay outta trouble" I snort and shake my head at him. It's like he doesn't even know me. I'm met with the dial tone again and want to hit my head on the desk. Retirement is kicking my ass; I need to get back in active duty shape.

"Yeah?" The man's voice makes me want to growl. I need my team not this man.

"Staff Sergeant O'Kane, I need Corporal Pierce or Corporal Sharp." My voice takes on my rank in an instant, snapping the order right out the box.

"Oh-uh, Yes Ma'am!" The cadet's stumbling reply makes me shake my head with a slight grin, I can't lie and say that I don't enjoy my rank. I earned it. His voice calls out to the two and I stare at the ceiling in wait.

"Roberts, who the hell is it?" I chuckle hearing Daniel's voice.

"What, you don't remember your Sergeant? That's just cruel." I'm met with deep booming laughter.

"Would ya look who called! We were starting to figure that you were forgetting us Sarg; how's retirement been treating you?" I shake my head at his question.

"This shit is kicking my ass; active duty was less hell for me. When are you two due home?" It's good to be home, I just wish I didn't have this ticking time bomb waiting to explode in my lap.

"We have three weeks left before we are brought home for some R&R; what's up?" I stare at my computer screen reading over the information Brad has sent to me.

"I have a... newcomer who's been proving problematic. I got some new intel on them; this newcomer has some... acquaintances that aren't siding with us. You catching my drift?" I have to choose my words very carefully. A habit that has stuck with me ever since my training.

"Yeah, I'm following what you are laying down. How big are their acquaintances?"

"Pruszkow." Is my only answer, the one word makes silence come over their end of the call. As much silence as the noisy barracks can offer. A knock sounds at my door and it's shoved open in an instance my eyes narrow as I reach for my gun pausing as I stare at Digger's seething form. He slams the door marching to the chairs in front of my desk and dropping down.

"Holy hell, you stepped in shit; how'd you manage that in the short time you've been home?" Daniel chuckles as Tony laughs over the line.

"Kode, you are something else; you manage to find the biggest piles and roll around in it." I snort and chuckle softly rubbing my bottom lip as I stare at Digger with my eyes raised.