Chapter 8

It was Saturday and she couldn't believe what she was about to do. Chief Kenneth's Gym She stared at the words on the glass door before taking a deep breath and walking inside. She didn't know what to expect and stood just inside the doorway looking around. She noticed the smell first. That smell of sweat. There was a small front desk covered with flyers and ads, but no one was there. She saw the boxing ring in the middle of the gym. To one side there were work out machines, very twenty-first century. But the other side of the gym looked a lot more old school. This is the stuff she had expected to see in a boxing gym. She noticed the line of weights in the back and the back wall was a full wall mirror. And how could she miss the men...everywhere she looked there were half naked men working out in one way or another. 

Scout was holding the large punching bag, closely watching each hit, when he noticed the gym seemed to be quieter. A slight hush had filled the place. He looked around and instantly spotted her. He watched as Warren walked up to her and shook her hand. Heat suddenly coursed through him, he knew this feeling of anger but unsure why such a normal thing iginitied it. He walked over to Serena and Warren. 

Serena couldn't help but smile when she finally saw him. Out of habit she signed to Scout as he walked up to her and the guy who had greeted her. Warren finally stopped talking and she noticed a look of shock or horror on his face. Scout just smiled at her.

"Warren, I've got this. Serena is mute and I doubt you know how to sign so I'll help her."

"IT WAS NICE TO MEET YOU." Warren shouted towards Serena.

"Damn! She's mute not deaf!"

Serena just laughed and rolled her eyes.

It's ok. I get it more than you think.

They watched Warren walk off and Scout turned back to Serena. He looked her over and he couldn't deny the sight of her bare legs had on his body. She looked like she was ready to work out, in her short shorts, tank top, and sports bra. He noticed how toned her body was. He shook his head.

"So what brings you here?"

I want to learn to fight.

A growl built up in his chest and he was instantly furious.

"No."

What? Why?

Serena was confused she hadn't expected him to say no. This is his gym, his job, he trains fighters. Scout took a deep breath and pulled his hair back out of his face. 

"I don't train women. Look around, men only. Women don't belong in the ring."

Scout didn't really believe that. He's had women join the gym in the past but it was rare. But the thought of Serena in the ring angered him and horrified him. Every fiber in his body felt the need to protect her. 

I don't have to fight in the ring...I just want to train, to learn to fight. 

Her anger was growing. She was tired of feeling scared and this was her solution. It was perfect. She would learn to protect herself and give her a reason to be around Scout...and he said no...NO! He didn't want to train her. She squared her shoulders and looked up at his face.

I will learn to fight! I guess I will just have to find someone else to teach me. 

She turned and walked out of the gym. She heard footsteps following behind her. 

"Why?"

She stopped and turned around to look at him.

Why what? 

"Why do you want to learn how to fight?"

She sighed and took in a deep breath.

Because I'm scared! I am scared ALL THE TIME! I jump at every little sound and shadow I see. The only time I feel safe is when I'm locked up in my apartment. I thought if I learned to fight I wouldn't be so scared anymore. I want...no I NEED to learn to protect myself. So maybe I can walk down the street without this crippling fear. I hate being so scared all the time.

Serena's voice broke when the tears became too much. She noticed Scouts strong arms had been wrapped around her. She finally collapsed into his chest. 

"Ok"

Serena didn't think she understood him. She looked at him confused.

What?

"I'll help you. I will teach you how to defend yourself. On one condition...no fighting!"

Serena smiled up at him. His chest tightened at the sight of her face. 

"Meet me here tomorrow say...two?

Thank you! I'll be here. 

"Ok I have to get back to work...see ya tomorrow."

He kissed her on the top of the head before letting her out of his embrace and walking back into the gym. It took Serena a moment to collect herself before leaving. Well that didn't go as planned, but I got what I wanted.