Chapter 11

Serena got home from work and was exhausted. She didn't know if it was the work outs or the restless night sleep that made her body ache. Either way she blamed Scout. She slipped off her shoes, bypassed the couch, and went straight to her bed. There was no energy left to change and pull the covers down. She just collapsed on top of the bed. She sighed and let out a deep breath. She could cry, laying down felt that good. Her cell vibrated and she barely lifted her head to check it. It was a message from Blair….it could wait. She closed her eyes and felt the pull of sleep.

*knock knock knock*

Serena groaned and truly felt like crying at the thought of getting back up. She slowly got up and made her way to her door. She flung the door open with a scowl on her face that quickly turned to shock when she saw not Blair but Scout standing in front of her. 

What are you doing here?

"Hello to you too."

She looked him over. He was dressed in his usual workout clothes but seemed to be a little more clean than when at the gym. 

"Serena?"

Umm...come in. 

"I figured you needed someone to run with again today. So I thought I would meet you here instead of the gym."

Run?! Ugghh...I'm too tired.

"Go change. If you hurry I might take it easy on you."

Serena's stomach swirled with stupid butterflies at his words. She didn't know how to tell him no and now that he was here she was wide awake. Her body was humming with an energy she didn’t have five minutes ago. She went to her room and changed. She blushed when she thought about the last time he had been in her room. Before leaving she check her text from Blair.

Met your sex god at outside and let him in. You're welcome <3 -Blair

Serena rolled her eyes. Of course she did. She really needed to stop missing texts. She grabbed what she needed and they left. Again Serena tried to pace herself. She wondered if her slow speed bothered Scout.

"This isn't that slow. You're actually keeping a good pace."

She scowled at him and he smirked.

I hate when you do that. 

The rest of the run Serena tried to keep her thoughts quiet. They finally stopped at a vendor in the park. Scout bought two waters and they sat down on a bench to rest. Serena felt like she was soaked in sweat but when she looked at Scout him only seemed to have a light gloss of sweat. It made her jealous and attracted to him at the same time. He closed his eyes and controlled his breathing. Serena continued to stare at him. She looked at the brace on his knee and frowned. She had never seen him wear a brace before.

"I only wear it when I feel the need. If I spar in the ring or if I'm running long distance."

Why?

"I blew my knee out a few years ago. I was in the ring...I don't really remember what happened. I wasn't hit unconscious or anything it's just like my brain blocked out that memory."

Did...does it hurt?

"It hurt like hell when it happened and the recovery therapy was rough, but nothing I couldn't handle. It gets stiff and sore here and there but for the most part it's fine now."

The way you say that makes me feel like you're leaving something out.

"I was competing when it happened. I was at the top of my career. I haven’t been able to fight since."

Why? Isn't it healed?

"It might be healed but it isn't the same. It still acts up at times. It's given out a few times. To be a fighter you can't just be good with your hands. You also have to be quick and graceful on your feet. You are on the balls of your feet moving around constantly…and I can't do that anymore."

I'm sorry.

They were quiet for a while.

"Well we should head back."

When they got back, Serena battled with inviting him back inside or saying good bye.

"Tomorrow you can rest. I'll text you about when and where for Thursday. Then run Friday and I'll let you rest Saturday before our session Sunday."

Wow you've got my whole week planned for me. Thanks.

"I'm going to take that as a sincere thank you. Good night Serena!"

Good night Scout.

Serena walked inside but before going into her apartment she knocked on her neighbor's door. 

"Well hello!"

Serena held out her whiteboard.

Please don't let people in for me! 

"But I knew who it was and trust me you wanted him to come inside."

Stay out of it!

Blair could tell she wasn't happy. 

"Ok."

Night

"Good Night."

Serena walked to her own apartment and was finally able to collapse. She forced herself to shower and eat before passing out in bed.