Chapter 9

Church was torture today for Serena. She couldn't focus on what was being preached and the minutes ticked by so very slowly. Blair had skipped church so she had no distractions from her usual uncheerful sarcastic sunday morning attitude. Once home she changed into workout clothes and tried to eat. Her stomach was too nervous to eat anything. Still time slowly ticked by torturously slow. Finally it was time to go to the gym to meet Scout. 

When she walked in she was surprised to find the place empty. Music was playing loudly over the speakers, filling the entire gym. She took a few steps further into the gym than she did the day before. She spotted him lifting weights in the back. He was shirtless and she watched the muscles in his shoulders and back as they moved and flexed. After a moment she noticed he stopped lifting. Her face turned red as she locked eyes with him in the mirror wall. She could feel his eyes on her and she wondered if he could feel her eyes on him. 

"Yes I could."

She blushed deepened as he stood up. He grabbed a small towel and wiped his face clean of sweat. He smirked at her. 

Hi. Where is everyone?

"The gym is closed on Sundays."

Then why am I here?

"I thought you wanted to learn how to fight?"

I do. I just figured...

Scout saw how all eyes were on her when she came in yesterday. He knew if he was going to focus on training her no one else could be around.

"I didn't want anyone getting distracted. People can get seriously hurt in a gym if they lose focus."

He was starting to second guess this decision now that he was alone with her. 

Ok so where do we start? Want me to wax your car?

Scout smiled at her.

"First off that's karate. Let's start with some warm-ups, stretches."

Serena was worn out after warm-ups, a "light" work-out, and running on the treadmill for what felt like forever. 

When do I get to hit something?

She could see something flash across his face. If she wasn't mistaken it looked like anger. 

"First you will learn endurance...if ever given the chance to run you do it!"

Serena collapsed on the floor next to her water bottle and sighed with an eye roll. 

"Then I will teach you how to remove yourself from different holds. Then when I feel you are ready I will teach you how to 'hit something' as you put it."

He sat on a bench and downed the rest of his water bottle. He looked down at her and suddenly that urge to touch her surfaced. His eyes roamed over her as she laid on her back with her knees bent up. He watched her chest rise and fall with each labored breath. He shook his head and got up to walk away.

"That's it for today. Same time and place next weekend. In the meantime...I would suggest running. If you don't have a treadmill please don't run solo. Ask your neighbor friend or text me."

Serena sat up and watched as he started cleaning up. She didn't really want to leave but couldn't find a reason to stay that wouldn't seem awkward. She got up and gathered her things. She was happy to see him turn off the lights and walk out with her. It wasn't dark yet but she still felt nervous about being in this area alone. 

Thank you again for this. It means more than you know. Bye, I'll see you next week.

"Have a good evening."

He watched as she drove off before walking the two blocks to his apartment.