Chapter 7

Serena put her book back on the shelf of the archives and headed to lunch. She sat at a table by herself and picked at her food. She couldn't concentrate on anything today. Ever since she found his picture online it was all she could think about. She debated with herself. She wanted to go and see him. She was also afraid of showing up at his workplace and making a scene. He knew where she lived if he wanted to see her he would come to her. Would he be mad or upset to see her? Did he want to see her but was busy?

She realized it was time to get back to work so she threw away the food she didn't eat and went back to work. She loved her job. She was a historical researcher and spent days surrounded by books, files, microfilms, and her computer. She rarely worked with other people and she liked it that way. 

After work she found herself driving with no destination in mind. Lost in her thoughts she just drove. When the road ended she stopped; she was shocked to see where she was. She shut off the car and stared. Her breathing was labored and her heart rate sped up. She could feel the tears brimming, ready to fall. She stepped out of the car and walked down the dock. She sat down and wrapped her arms around her knees, pulling them towards her chest. She felt a shiver run through her and the tears streamed down her face. She didn't know how long she had been there but knew the sun was disappearing. She suddenly felt fear. She quickly stood up and started back to her car. Before she made it to her car she happened to look up and locked eyes with him. She stopped in her tracks. He was leaning on a large door frame to a warehouse watching her. He started towards her and she walked in his direction. 

"I was surprised to see you out there."

Have you been watching me?

"I noticed you out there. I thought about walking out there but figured you wanted to be alone." 

What are you doing here?

He gestured back towards the building. "This building is mine. I run a gym."

So that's where his gym is. She saw him smirk.

"You know about my gym? Been looking me up?"

Serena didn't have to see her own face to know it was beet red. 

You just disappeared and I didn't have your number. And no last name. It wasn't easy, you barely have an online presence. I mean who doesn't have social media!? 

She suddenly stopped, realizing she was rambling. She wasn't used to talking to people. She would have to work on that.

"Let's fix that."

She looked at him confused as he held out his hand. 

"Give me your phone."

A little shaky she handed over her cell and realized he was giving her his number. Then she heard a buzzing sound. 

"There now you have my number and I have yours. I have to get back inside. Get home safe!"

When she took her phone back the touch of his fingers were electric. She hated how excited and afraid this man made her. And that smile…. She watched him turn and walk away before leaving.