Chapter 2

She hurried back to her apartment. She had lost her keys so she buzzed for her neighbor. Then she remembered it was day time and she was at work. So she buzzed for the old gentleman who lives downstairs from her.

“Who is it?”

She couldn’t respond back so she just buzzed it a couple more times. The man just yelled at her to go away and stop pressing the button. She started to cry. Her emotions were starting to spill over. She was afraid she wouldn’t be able to get inside.  

"I believe these would help."

She spun around and froze. Scout stood there holding out her purse and keys. Cautiously she grabbed her things. But now that he was standing there, she was nervous to turn around and unlock the door. 

"Serena I promise I won't hurt you. I saved you from those guys, I watched over you until you woke up, and now I've returned your things to you. And whether you choose to believe it or not I can hear you!"

She looked down at her keys and then back up at him. 

Thank you.

She turned back around and went inside, leaving him standing there. She went upstairs to her apartment; stopping at the old gentleman's apartment to explain it had been her pushing the button. Once she was inside she collapsed on the couch and thought about what she just went through. She hugged the pillow and curled up and cried. Gradually she fell asleep. 

She woke up to someone knocking on her door. She was hesitant to answer it. She looked through the peephole and saw her neighbor, Blair. She unlocked the door and let her in. 

"Wow you look like hell! What the fuck happened to you?"

She walked across the living room and got her dry erase board she used to communicate with people who couldn't sign. And as hard as Blair was working to learn this wasn't a conversation to try and sign.

Last night I was chased and attacked by a group of men

"OH MY GOD!"

Don't remember much just being chased and then falling

"That's terrible did you call the police?"

I can't call the police and if I went down there what would I say?

"I guess you're right. Since you don't know anything except that they were a group of guys. Oh speaking of guys...who's the guy sitting outside? He asked me to let him in but I know better than that."

Blair laughed but Serena was frozen. He was still out there waiting…

He saved me.

"What?!"

From the guys who attacked me

"What?"

He didn't hurt me. He helped me. Complicated. 

"Maybe I should go downstairs and have a little chat with him! But then again if you said he helped you then he's a good guy and not bad looking either."

Wait! Invite him up here and maybe he can explain more about last night

"Ok sounds like a plan."

Blair went to the intercom. 

His name is Scout

"Hello Scout? Are you still waiting out there?"

"Yes, Im Scout, I'm here to see Serena!"

"I'm Serena's neighbor and I'm going to let you come up so you can explain to me what happened to her."