Change 12

Work had helped keep Serena's mind off of things but as soon as she was home there was nothing to stop her mind from thinking about the man who had rescued her. A man that towered over her and was known to use his strength to his advantage. A man who has spent his life fighting and even made a career out of it. A man that scared her to death but intrigued her as well. A man that turned her on with just his presence let alone his touch. She knew he was all wrong for her but the thought of never seeing him again filled her with dread. She knew she could go somewhere else to learn self defense but she didn't want to. She couldn't deny that no matter how nervous Scout made her he also made her feel safe. She was always scared these days, jumping at every little sound. The gym, his gym, was the only place outside of her home she felt safe anymore. Serena tried to distract herself with the tv before she made herself go insane.

Scout was locking up the gym and debating on a run or just going home. 

"So no Mermaid today?"

"You really need to stop calling her that. And no, it's her day off from training."

"So?"

"So? Why would I see her if she didn't have training?"

"You're an idiot."

"Whatever. See ya tomorrow."

Warren drove off and Scout walked towards his apartment. He had to admit he did feel a need to check up on her, but he knew better. He needed to stop thinking about her. She wasn't his responsibility. He had done a good dead and now he was stuck helping her learn to defend herself. He didn't owe her anything else. His responsibility was to his gym and himself. So why did he have this urge deep down to protect her? It was almost animalistic. He tried to ignore this new feeling. He didn't need any distractions from the gym. It hadn't been an easy job starting the gym and he was finally doing well. He couldn't take that kind of risk on some girl. 

-----------------

When Sunday came around Serena and Scout were distant to say the least. Even though they had seen each other and went running Scout had been distant and stand-offish. This made Serena confused and nervous so she didn't bring it up. Which led to two very long and quiet runs. And if Scout had heard any of her thoughts during that time he never commented on them. Serena walked into the gym dressed in her usual shorts and sports bra barely covered by a baggy tank top. She hadn't messed with doing her hair or make-up. She had even considered not coming at all. But she wanted, no needed, to train and she wasn't going to let some guy change that. So here she was…

"Stretch and then warm up on the treadmill."

Serena literally jumped when Scout yelled at her from his office door before going back inside it. She sighed and got ready. If he was going to be in a bad mood he could stay in the office, she thought to herself. 

She was finishing up on the treadmill when Scout finally came out of his office. Little did he know her anger had only grown in his absence. Which took "silent treatment" to a whole new level. 

"Attack me."

Serena just looked at him like he was crazy. She crossed her arms in front of her chest. 

"I know you heard me. You're not deaf. Attack me."

She scrowled at him. 

Thanks for the reminder.

"Fine."

Scout walked closer to Serena and grabbed her wrist, turning it. Serena was completely taken by surprise and not happy about it. 

Let me go!

"You think an attacker is going to listen to you? They won't hear you and you won't be able to sign. This simple trick can be dangerous for many people but especially for you."

He let her go and they stepped apart from each other. 

"You want me to teach you to defend yourself then you need to listen."

Serena frowned but nodded. Scout took her step by step on how to deflect someone reaching out for her and how to get out of some grips. As soon as the hour was over Scout called it time to go. He went back to his office without much of a word. Serena felt her anger flare back up. She couldn't stand this new attitude he seemed to have this week. Before she left the gym Scout came out and stopped her.

"Hey, I forgot to mention. I will be gone most of this week. If you can't find someone to run with please use the gym...just after hours. I'll tell Warren to stick around if you need."

Ok, thanks. bye.

"Good night, Serena."

Scout watched her leave and then started cleaning up. He didn't know why but he was always on edge these days. Warren had teased him all week about needing to get laid. And maybe he was right, it had been a while. He had crossed the line with Serena twice already. Maybe that was why. It didn't matter. He was traveling with one of his fighters this week to support and train him. He hoped sponsors or maybe another train would see him fight and give him offers. He knew his gym would never make champions, so when one of his guys ever got the chance to move on he was proud. He had spent most of the day on the computer making reservations and spreading the word about the fight. It also crossed his mind that some time away from Serena was probably a good thing. He couldn't pack soon enough.