Seven

I can't do it

Camilla's POV

That Monday I stormed to Ms Butler's office, knocking violently on the door. I was there to request a new partner, because quite frankly- I couldn't stand Zayn Malik's face. "Camilla! I didn't see you in class today," she beamed. Her smile seemed....almost forced. Like she rather had been doing anything than be there with me at that moment. I'd skipped her class that morning, for no apparent reason. I just felt like it. Deep down, I knew Zayn was a huge part of it. I didn't know what was wrong with me, the guy hadn't really done anything to me. But I felt angry with him. Maybe because one stupid part of me sorta cared for him. SORTA!  "May I take a seat?" I asked even though I would've taken it even if she'd have said no. She nodded and I took the seat across her. The pale sun filtered through the window, illuminating her unusually green eyes. Okay, she wasn't that bad looking as I first thought. She was one of those people that looked better up close. I cleared my throat, my gaze lifting from my hands on my lap, preparing to speak. "I... don't want to be Zayn's partner anymore," I said bravely, letting the cat out of the bag as soon as I could.
"Why?" She gaped. I found it ironic that she seemed shocked...I mean we were talking about Zayn after all. It shouldn't have come as such a shock. Seriously.
"I j-just don't want to be his partner," I scrambled for a valid explanation that could make her swap him for someone else but was really coming short. "He doesn't put much effort in his work and frankly, he's dragging me down," I lied. Even if Zayn didn't put any effort in his work, I had no way of telling. I wanted to add that he invited his friends to study sessions but that just seemed so....dumb...too minuscule of a matter. Her lips pressed into a thin line and she looked as if she was actually considering my argument. I could literally see the battle in her emerald green eyes, like she too wanted exactly what I wanted but something was stopping her. "I hear you Camilla," she began and I smiled. "But I can't do what you're asking me."
That wiped the smile clean off my face. "What?"
"I put you with Zayn for a reason. I think you can help him."
I wanted to remind her that she didn't put me with him and that if I wanted to ' help ' Zayn I would've signed up for tutoring. But I didn't.
"But Ms Butler I don't think you understand what I'm trying-"
"Mr Malik has some real potential and you can help him tap into it," she argued, cutting me off. But that's not my job, I quiped....in my head. Instead I opted to say : "But I can't do that!"
"Yes you can. Try at least."
She returned her attention back to her work, signalling that the conversation was over . At that moment, I hated her. I loathed her with all my heart. How could she not see that I was suffering?( Well not literally, but still). "And don't forget that this counts sixty percent of your grade," she added.

* * *

I slumped onto the bench and thanked Priscilla for getting me lunch. "Where were you?" Adam asked.
"Ms Butler's office," I replied.
"Why?" Priscilla raised an eyebrow. I took a bite of my burger to avoid answering. "I've been partnered with Zayn and I asked her to give me another partner. She refused."
"Why would you do that?" Priscilla sounded like she couldn't believe I'd made such a stupid move. Her infatuation with this guy was really suspicious...and worrying. She had a boyfriend for god's sake.
"He invited me to his house on Saturday and when I got there, a bunch of his friends were there," I paused to catch my breath and Adam took it as an opportunity to comment. "I really don't like where this is going," he said.
"Nothing happened. But I'm sure they were planning something. I mean, who the hell invites friends over to a study session?"
It took me a moment to realise that their gazes weren't fixed on me anymore. I followed their eyes, surprised to find Zayn Malik, in all his glory, standing right behind me. For a minute, I stressed over what he'd heard but then remembered that I gave zero fucks anyway. "Hey," he smiled. Adam and Priscilla waved and returned the smile, both clearly intimidated by his presence alone. "What do you want?" I asked curtly. His brows shot up, as if he wasn't expecting my attitude. "Can we talk?" He turned and led the way before I even gave him an answer. What an arrogant ass.

------------:-------------:------------:--------------

A/N

Hi. How are you? I hope you really enjoyed today's chapter. Please vote and comment. Thank you so much for giving my story a shot. I really appreciate it.

Bye:-)