Ten

Friends with the cafeteria king

That Tuesday, the first part of the day flew by at lightening speed. I hadn't seen Zayn or his friends the entire morning,and to me that felt like paradise. By lunchtime, I was practically beaming. It had been weeks since I'd had a face balloon thrown at my face, and walking down the hallway wasn't so torturous anymore. "Since when does Zayn and his friends sit inside?" Priscilla scowled as we filed into the cafeteria. I followed her gaze, and my eyes rested on the boy with black hair lounging like a king amongst his friends. They were all talking to him, but he rarely replied. I noted that the cafeteria was full today, thanks to Zayn. I couldn't understand why people treated him like some celebrity.After all, not all of as appreciated the crowd he always seemed to draw when present. Atleast not those of us who were not feeding off his popularity like his supposed 'friends'. "It's probably because of the bad weather," I reasoned.
It was extra cold today; the wind harsh and unforgiving. We bought our lunch and sat as far away from Zayn's group as possible. "Where's Adam?" I asked when I finally noticed his absence. Priscilla bit her lower lip, looking like she didn't want to answer. "We had a really huge fight this morning."
"What was it about?" I had only known Priscilla for about three weeks but I felt oddly protective of her. "He has all these pictures of girls all over his phone. I confronted him about it and he didn't respond too well," she explained. "Oh Cilla, I'm so sorry," I reached over to hug her and she hugged me back, tighter than I expected. I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder. I pulled away from Priscilla and was shocked to see Zayn standing there with his hands in his pockets. "Malik, what are you doing here?"
He wordlessly grabbed my wrist and led the way to a secluded corner but I was positive everyone could still see us. I could feel their stares, even though mine was fixed on his face. " Come sit with us,"he said.
"Us as in-"
"My friends and I."
"What!" I hissed. "Are you out of your mind?"
"Are you going to keep overeacting or are you actually going to tell me what's your problem?"
"Overeacting?" I folded my eyes over my chest and glared at him.
"I honestly don't see what the problem is here. Aren't we friends?" He sounded exasperated.
"Partners."
We fell silent, staring each other down - equally stubborn. What the staring contest was about? I didn't know. Neither did he. We just naturally gravitated to arguing when in each other's presence. "Is there a problem here?"Jason's booming voice pulled us out of our staring contest. "No," Zayn said without taking his eyes off me.
"Really? Because if she is bothering you...."
Zayn's head snapped to Jason's direction. "What? What are you going to do about it?" Zayn challenged. My eyes flickered back and forth between the two boys, utterly confused. Why were they arguing? I guess what I'd heard about them having some beef was true. Jason took a step towards Zayn, towering over him but Zayn didn't look fazed. "What do you want me to do about it?" Jason sneered. Zayn looked at him, communicating a simple threat with just a look- 'I can end you'. Jason suddenly grinned, his handsome face straining under the fake smile, and took a step back. "I'm just kidding man," Jason chuckled, running a hand through his thick brown hair.
His grin was clearly fake and his face looked way better without it. "Me too," Zayn laughed dryly. These two clearly had some beef, and I wasn't too keen on finding out why.

*
AN

How are you liking the story so far?
Thank you so much for reading