Eight

Shitty Apology

"I first want to say I'm-" he took a deep breath, as if saying the word would actually cause him physical pain.Guessing from the way his face contoured in pain when he finally said it, it probably did. "Sorry."
His facial expression made me almost laugh. His eyebrows were furrowed so much that creases were starting to form on his forehead and his eyes had an expression of pure torture. He clearly was not used to being the one to apologize.
"Really?" I narrowed my eyes at him, enjoying making him squirm. There was really nothing to apologize for but if he felt like doing it, I would gladly accept it. You know what? Actually, scratch that. It's not everyday that the cafeteria king comes to you to ask for forgiveness, Christmas comes once a year after all. "Yes," he nodded." I shouldn't have done that."
"Done what?" I asked, positively beaming. I was really enjoying this.
"Do you actually want me to spell it out for you?" He snapped. I smiled mischievously at him, planning to pull his leg a little more. He sighed. "I'm sorry that I invited my friends over when we were supposed to study and they behaved like shit," he 'spelled' it out for me. I looked at him silently, a ghost of a smile on my face. "What makes you think I'll forgive you so quickly?" I crossed my arms over my chest, raising an eyebrow.
"Because there's nothing to forgive." Pfft.
"Oh?" My eyebrows shot up mockingly. "Then why apologise?" Oh, I was enjoying this.
"Because," he sighed, clearly exasperated. "I felt bad." He felt bad? Did that mean that some part of him cared the same way that some part of me did? The was no denying that I felt slightly attracted to this gorgeous human being, I mean who wasn't? But what I hadn't imagined was that he would care too.
"Okay," I finally said after I realised I'd been quiet for too long.
"Okay?" He was clearly confused.
"Yes," I nodded, repeating "okay."
"Just okay?" He asked. What else did he want me to say?
"Yes. What more do you want?"
I could tell from the look on his face that he wasn't used to being spoken to this way. This guy was used to people falling at his feet, worshiping his every move. But once again, I wasn't about to do that. I had too much pride. Now that I think about it, maybe that was a bad thing.
"Why are you being so fucking difficult?"
"Difficult?"I chuckled, shaking my head humourlessly."I'm being nice. You should say thank you I'm not walking away from you right now."
He studied me, his eyes roaming my features, his hands in the pocket of his grey slacks.
"What?" I asked after his silent stare became too much. There was something about his eyes, forever scrutinizing and never missing a detail that made me very very uncomfortable.
"I'm trying to figure out whether I like you or not."
"And have you figured it out yet?"
"Yes."
"And? Which one is it?" I asked, genuinely intrigued to hear what he had to say. Don't ask me why.
"I don't," his voice was dead serious but there was a teasing smile on his face. He must've been kidding right? Right?
"The feeling is mutual," I replicated his smile, earning a full on grin from him. His grin was infectious, and utterly breathtaking. Geez, I was turning into....a hormonal love struck teenage girl.
"Oh is that a hint of sadness I see in your eyes? Because really, I would like you a lot more if you opened your mouth a lot less," he remarked, seemingly laughing at his own joke.
"Hahaha so funny," I rolled my eyes, clearly being sarcastic. "You know, it's really sad that you're laughing at your own joke. Alone." This instantly halted his laughter.
"Okay it's settled. I officially don't like you," he still had the teasing smile on his handsome olive face.
"You think we should draw up a contract? Sign an 'official we hate each other and swear to be mean to each other always although we are partners' contract?" I joked, raising an eyebrow. I laughed at how he nodded furiously, pretending to be looking for a pen. "How about we sign it this afternoon at the school library?" I discretely asked for another study session. I hoped he wouldn't bring his friends this time.He scrunched up his nose, the smile falling from his face. "Doesn't that place close after school?" He was looking for an excuse not to come but was falling short.
"No. It closes at five, so we have two hours to discuss our project."
"Don't you have friends? Places to be?"
"I don't," I said, shaking my head at his attempt at dismissing himself from the after noon session.
"Well I do."
"Zayn!" I half scolded, half laughed. The air between us was oddly relaxed and playful, something that I hadn't expected that all.
"Okay. Okay. But just this once," he nodded reluctantly.
"If you say so. See you later then," I grinned, turning and sauntering back to my table.

------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Hi!!!! How are you? I hope you're having a wonderful day so far. How are you liking today's chapter? I really hope you enjoyed it. Please vote and comment. Thank you so much for reading, I really appreciate it.

Bye:-)