Chapter 17

Chapter 17

An hour later, Farrah woke up to a slight nudging by Esther. "Are you hungry?"

"Not really, no. Uh, what happened?" As she sat up and rubbed her head, Esther sat beside her.

"All four of us were talking and you fainted. I think Castiel knows why, but so far he hasn't shared."

"Sounds great. Where is he?"

"Outside with Philip. I think they're talking about you."

Her anxious expression made Esther chuckle. "Nothing bad. Mostly how to protect you. The angels and demons alike fear you, Farrah. They fear you to the point of wanting to kill you."

"What about Philip?"

"They are afraid of him as well, but because of my position and the respect other angels held for me before he and I met, and seeing that I accept him, they do not actively hunt him. Demons are not something we worry about; they are powerless when they face us, and they know we are not afraid to kill them."

"Castiel held a high position, didn't he?"

"Yes, but he fell, and he shows sympathy toward your family. They do not respect him as they once did."

Nodding slowly, Farrah got to her feet and walked outside. Esther followed her, sneaking up behind Philip and tackling him. At first he was surprised and started to fight back, but then he relaxed in a fit of laughing and kissed her.

Farrah's heart lurched. She would never get that. No, she was too damaged for someone to love her like they loved each other. With a quick glance toward Cas, she bit the inside of her cheek. He was the only one who may come close to loving her as more than a sister or a daughter, but she knew it would never happen. He would never willingly be stuck with her.

"Are you all right?" he asked her. She nodded.

"Yes, thank you."

You are not more of a demon than Philip, Farrah. You are just different. Just as with humans; some enjoy rural life and others do not; Philip merely enjoys different things than you.

She smiled for the comfort and that he hadn't spoken aloud. Thank you, Castiel.

Am I correct that this was the only thing bothering you?

For now, yes. We'll see when I go home what comes up then.

They were so caught up in their own conversation that they didn't notice Philip and Esther looking at them. "Are you two...talking?" Philip asked, his arm casually held around Esther's slim shoulders.

"Yes," said Cas. "Do you know how we can?"

"I do. But it would be better for you to take some time together to figure it out first."

"There isn't anything you can tell us?" Farrah asked.

He thought for a moment before removing his arm from his wife's side and walking over. "There is only one thing I can show you. It is easier for me to show you rather than for me to tell you. Castiel," he said, his voice almost pleading, "I swear that I mean nothing by what I do. Farrah is as good as blood to me."

Warily Cas nodded. "I believe you."

"Thank you. Farrah do you trust me? I will do only what I must."

She nodded. "Yeah."

"Very good. Now please hold still."

Cas took a small step away to allow Philip closer. As he made do with his space, Philip lifted his hands and placed his fingers on her head, four on her temple, four behind her ears, and one thumb on each cheek. Both lycans closed their eyes and he took a deep breath.

In the new opening in Farrah's mind, she felt a small pulsation. It was dull, but slightly painful, like someone pinching your skin. It started to grow sharper, and she winced. But then it was gone. She opened her eyes to find Cas on his knees in pain.

Surprised, Philip stepped away. "Farrah, did I harm you?"

"I'm fine. Castiel, what's wrong?"

Shakily he got to his feet and glared at Philip. Yet he wanted to answer Farrah's question and turned to her. "Did you not feel that pain?"

"It was only a small pinch. What did you feel?"

"It was as if someone was electrocuting my brain."

In an instant Farrah had turned on Philip, her eyes widened with rage. The man in question held up his hands. "I did not know it became magnified. Honestly. Please, I offer my sincerest apologies."

She nodded. "Fine. But what does that mean? That whenever anyone picks at my brain, Castiel will feel it?"

"Not exactly. I just did not want you to suffer from any long-term effects. The exact situation is pain. If either of you gets hurt, the other will know. Mental, physical, emotional. It doesn't matter. Castiel may even be able to feel if you have a nightmare. Usually though the pain is not magnified. I will have to look into that."

"Usually?" Farrah echoed. Philip just smiled.

"Yes. You should go now; your father and uncle will be worried."