Chapter 26

Chapter 26

"Farrah! Farrah!"

Two days later, Sam relentlessly shook the wiggling girl in the backseat, but she just wouldn't wake up. She was screaming too, and it nearly gave them both heart attacks when it started. Dean was about ready to pull over. They'd been driving for twelve hours straight almost (since four in the morning), trying to make it to a case that looked suspiciously leviathan-like.

"Just call Cas!" Dean shouted over her.

"You do it! I'm a little busy right now!" he grunted when her knee hit his face.

Finally, just as Sam got her arms pinned, Cas showed up. Instantly he leaned forward and lightly pressed his palm to her cheek. Her body fell slack, and Sam twisted back painfully while the angel helped her upright.

"Is this another nightmare?" he asked hopefully. Many poisons had the side effect of hallucinations or delirium, and he had had to administer such an antidote numerous times.

"Yeah," Sam sighed. Cas nodded and moved her such that she was leaning on his shoulder and his arm was around hers. He did it easily, and seemed quite comfortable, causing the brothers to exchange glances.

"Hey, Cas, you ever visit the bunker?" Dean asked.

"Occasionally, when Farrah calls for me."

"Oh, great. How often does that happen?"

"Once a night usually, but some nights she sleeps through."

Sam looked back. "Do you guys usually sit together like that?"

"Yes. Farrah finds comfort in this. I have made it my job to keep her as comfortable as possible."

"Pretty sure that's my job as her father."

"And mine as her lover."

All of them jolted as Dean slammed on the brakes and spun; Cas was surprised Farrah didn't wake up. "I'm sorry, what? Her lover? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Exactly what it implies. Farrah and I love each other. That is why we can feel when the other is in pain, and why we can speak telepathically."

"No one told me jack about you making googly eyes at my daughter."

"If she is your daughter," Cas replied without hesitation and in a calm voice, "then why did you hesitate to deny that she was abnormal?"

"We are not having this conversation." Dean shook his finger at Cas. "When did you two decide you loved each other?"

"I told Sam months ago, while Farrah was still hunting with Garth."

Dean looked accusingly at his brother, who raised his hands in innocence. "Hey. Wasn't my secret to tell."

Rolling his eyes, Dean turned his attention back to Cas. "Okay. You two are 'lovers'; I'm down with that. But if I ever see her upset because of something you've done, so help me I will kick you out. You're lucky you're family, otherwise I'd kill you."

"I understand. You don't accept what Farrah is, but you still love her. Human emotions are very complex."

"Yeah, so I've been told. Okay. Let's go. We'll need to speed to get to the motel before sunset."

~

Farrah woke up leaned against the door with Castiel's coat wrapped around her. Oh no, she thought with a moan. She had another nightmare. It must have been terrible for Sam and Dean to have called Cas.

Groggily she opened the door and slid out. "Hey. Sleeping Beauty awakens," Dean grinned as he closed the car door behind her.

"Yep. So, we here then?"

"Yeah. Got all your stuff inside, and Cas is in there too, but first I wanna talk to you." He took a swig from a beer and she crossed her arms over her chest, trying to stand firm. She was sure this would end up in a fight.

"Relax. It's not about the leviathans or lycans or any of that crap." She nodded and released a heavy breath. As he set down the beer on the hood of the car, Dean frowned. Was she really that freaked by those topics? "I wanna talk to you about Cas. He said that you two were, I quote, 'lovers'. Wanna tell me what that's about?"

She bit her lip. "It's a story."

"I got time."

With a nod she turned and started to walk at a relaxed pace. She'd need to have the comfort of at least moving while she spoke. "Okay. So, I guess the beginning would be purgatory..."

They kept walking down the sidewalk, Dean intently listening for the first time to what purgatory was like for her. She explained the monsters, the fear, Castiel's comfort, and his sacrifice (since there was absolutely no guarantee that she'd be able to bring him back). Then she launched into how difficult it was to be around him constantly for a year and then him just be gone, even though she was around family. How he, for the first month at least, was the only comfort she had. But after that she started to readjust and just get nightmares, after which she would never get back to sleep unless she talked to someone, and she didn't want to disturb Dean.

They were walking for well over two hours, and figured their way around the small town nicely during that time.

"He's always been there for me. Even years ago, when Bobby still wanted to kill me," she said at one point. "He's never given up on me or made me feel unwelcome." Dean had simply nodded.

Farrah drew to her conclusion with what she'd overseen; Castiel defending her against being a monster. Dean watched his feet guiltily while she was talking about that.

"Honestly though, Dad, I don't think either of you were right or wrong. There is bad in me; I am part demon after all. But I try my best to stay away from it. So, I agree with both of you."

He stopped. "Hang on. Farrah, don't you dare think for a second that you're anything like those monsters that we hunt. When I said that to Cas, I was trying to justify my silence back at that warehouse. You are not any of what Crowley said you were. Okay? Look at me." She raised her eyes and saw his hardened, determined expression. It was the same one he used on Sam when he was trying to convince him of anything. "Okay?"

"Okay. Let's get back to the motel." She smiled and walked ahead of him, unspeakably glad to have that weight off of her chest.