Chapter 21

One minute Dream's lips were about to touch mine and the next someone had bashed down the door.

My eyes focused on the man. He was wearing a pig mask and my heart sank. I quickly realized this was the deadly man that assassinated King George and he was here.

I remembered what he had yelled. He wanted to take down the government, so I am sure that his target was either Dream or me. We were the main event of this politically motivated wedding.

He took out his bow and loaded it with an arrow.

Suddenly he pointed it right towards me and fired.

The arrow was soaring through the room aiming straight for me. This was all happening in the span of 5 seconds, yet it felt like an eternity.

I was going to die and I had no one in this world that would care.

I closed my eyes accepting my fate, maybe the purpose of my life was just to die.

Until I felt a body right in front of me, shielding me from the attack.

The arrow had pierced his shoulder and he fell into my arms. It took me a while to even realize it was Dream. The man that ruined my life had just saved it.

I think I screamed at the sight but I was so distressed I don't even remember. I quickly set him on the ground and kneeled beside him.

"Stay awake." I say at the sight of him closing his eyes and trying to shake him back to consciousness. The arrow had pierced the lower part of his shoulder and he was bleeding profusely. It was less fatal then if it would've hit me, but it didn't matter if he lost too much blood.

No longer was I paying attention to anything else happening in the room.

He lazily opens his eyes.

"Dream, why?" I kind of stuttered over my words. I was hoping if I could keep him talking he wouldn't give in to the darkness.

He mustered some strength to respond, "Peace."

I thought about the conversation we had just days ago where I denied his offer of peace because I had given up things he wouldn't even think of giving up if he had them himself. Yet here he was giving up his life.

No (Y/n) he is not going to die.

"I am sure the medic will be here soon," attempting to convince the both of us.

He looked back at me with no hope. "Kiss me."

"Wha-".

He tries his best to explain, "Some of these people on my side will use the excuse that we aren't officially married in order to break the alliance."

He paused for some time, trying to gather the strength to continue, "And if I die..."

That was it, I couldn't take hearing the pain of his voice or seeing it in his eyes. I cut off his sentence interlocking my lips with his.

It was filled with passion and I am sure he took what little energy he had left to kiss me back.

This was my first kiss, yet the only thing I could think is that it might be my last with him.