Chapter 12

I shifted the position in my seat trying to get comfortable for the story.

"When George was elected as king his right-hand man was Dream. Kings didn't usually show much emotion, but when they were in the same room, I had never seen him so happy. If there were to be a definition of best friends, it would be them," Sapnap explained.

It was hard for me to process Dream as anyone that didn't just care about himself.

He continued his story. "Well one day all of it changed. There was an intruder dressed in a pig-mask that broke in and assassinated him." He takes a deep breath, trying to compose himself. I could see that he was still upset by witnessing such a gruesome act. "Dream, as the next in line took his place and he was never the same. He doesn't smile or laugh. Let's just say that King George wasn't the only one to die that day."

After Sapnap was done with the story he tried to continue with teaching. However my mind wandered back to what he had just told me. I closed my eyes and tried to imagine the person Dream used to be. Someone that was happy, some that laughed.

It didn't matter though. It doesn't change the fact that he still chose to be a malicious dictator instead of an honorable king like his dead friend was.

Soon our lesson was over and I was returned back to my room awaiting my dinner to be served.

After a long hour of waiting, it finally arrived with an unwanted guest.

There was Dream, holding two dinner plates full of food that made my stomach rumble. "Here is your food. I thought I could join my lovely betrothed for a meal." in a tone that definitely lacked sincerity.

He set it on my small table and sat in one of the seats waiting for me to come and join him.

I walk over to my plate of food. "Is this going to be a regular thing?"

"No, I just have things I would like to discuss with you and I just decided if you had food in your mouth you would talk less."

I rolled my eyes at the comment. "Discuss what?"

"It seems there is a certain member of Manburg that can't seem to agree to the condition of our marriage." My eyes widen as I remember the boy from my home. The boy that made me smile unconditionally.

"Why does it matter?" I ask hoping he will dismiss it as being unimportant.

"He has challenged me to a bow match," he takes a careful look at my face and I just know he saw the horror in my eyes. "Of course I couldn't refuse."

My emotions came flooding in. How could Tommy be so stupid? There was no way he could win a fight like that. After everything I gave up for him to be safe, he is going to throw it all away.

I threw my plate across the room.

"Seems like I have hit a nerve." he devilishly smiled. "Mind telling me more about your relationship with him?"