1

"You're not listening, Sykkuno!" Rae yells.

Sykkuno snaps out of his daze and looks to his right so see Rae fuming since he zoned out on more than half of her story.

"I'm sorry, I'm a little bit distracted." He rubs his hands on his face and then fixes his fringe.

Toast chuckles from besides him.

"What's so funny, Toast?"

"Nothing. Sykkuno had just been super anxious about his first day back in college."

Sykkuno huffs while Rae responds, "it's your sophomore year, Sy, you'll do just fine."

~

"You guys do know that they serve cardboard as pizza, right?" Toast says as the three friends make their way towards the cafeteria. "Or have you forgotten stuff from last year?"

"Ugh, he's right. Should we go off campus to get pizza then?" Rae asks. Sykkuno just shrugs and they all agree on going off campus.

They order two pizzas and decide to share amongst each other. Rae and Toast are chatting while Sykkuno hears the bell of the door go off and a tall figure enters the pizzeria. The guy is wearing a mask and has disheveled long hair which is why he can't make out his face. He goes towards the reception and orders something without taking off the mask. He appears to be fiddling with the rings on his hand – probably a nervous habit. Sykkuno is immensely amused by whoever this person is.

As if on cue, he turns around but freezes, his body language way too rigid when he realises that there are no available seats. Sykkuno almost flinches when Rae suddenly shouts.

"Hey there! You can sit here if you want to!" Rae points towards the seat across from Sykkuno.

The stranger brings his hand up to rub the back of his neck as if thinking this situation over. He finally gives in and walks towards them nervously. He removes his mask and sits down. Sykkuno's breath audibly hitches and he coughs to cover it.

"Uh, um, thank you. That was really nice of you." He says, fiddling with his rings again.

Rae beams at him. If anyone is surprised by the depth of his voice, no one says anything. "What's your name?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Uh, it's Corpse." He looks up while answering.

"Hi Corpse, I'm Rae." She introduces herself, like the ever polite friend.

"Hey man, I'm Toast."

There's a small smile on Corpse's face and Sykkuno decides that he likes it. Suddenly Corpse is looking at him with big brown eyes and plump lips. He had to introduce himself.

"Uh, I'm Sykkuno." He does a small wave and then blushes when he realises how dumb he looks.

"Hi, Sykkuno."

Something about Corpse saying hi specifically to him makes him smile and blush. As soon as they all get their pizzas, they start eating, sharing among them themselves. Corpse even agrees to try out the pineapple pizza the next time he's here.

Throughout the whole time, Sykkuno learns a lot about Corpse. He has just transferred to this college, which explains why Sykkuno has never seen him before. He's a psychology major and his favourite colour is black just like his whole get up. Sykkuno learns that he also made his own mask and painted little doodles on it.

"So do you play games, Corpse?" Toast asks.

"Yeah, I love playing games." Corpse answers with a little smile.

Sykkuno loves that Corpse had become comfortable with talking to them even though he hasn't said much himself during the whole conversation.

"Oh! What do you play?" Rae asks almost jumping in her own seat.

"A bit of Among Us, Valorant, Minecraft. Stuff like that." He shrugs and bites into his slice of pizza.

"Oh my god! That's awesome!" Rae yells. "Would you want to play with us? I promise we're a fun bunch."

"Oh." His checks flush.

"Don't worry, mate. We're good people and considering you just moved here you must not have many friends." Toast says.

"Uh, yeah that's true. Sure I'll play with you guys." Corpse smiles.

Sykkuno should really stop staring, it's getting weird. He should also speak something.

"Yeah, yeah. It's very fun." He stutters out.

Corpse's eyes snap to Sykkuno. He blinks a few times. "I'm hoping it is." He says and shoves the pizza slice in his mouth to hide his smirk.

And Sykkuno's breath hitches again.

~

Hi! Hope you liked the first chapter :)