3

hi! I've posted this fic on ao3. I'm adding the link in the inline comment.

Sykkuno has been friends with Corpse for almost a month, the two boys have got to know each other while playing games, their weekly movie night and during classes. It is now well into October and Bretman is throwing his annual Halloween party. So the whole group is planning their Halloween costumes without telling either of them what they are going to be.

It is their weekly movie night and Sykkuno would never admit this, but he is sort of sad that his turn to choose the movie doesn't come before Halloween because he really wanted to see this one film which he's sure will leave the theatres right after Halloween.

He tells that to Corpse one day while they're walking to class. Corpse is wearing his usual mask that he made himself - claiming that he's too awkward to walk the halls with people staring at him.

"I'm pretty sure it's not going to be available when it's my turn. My luck is pretty bad like that."

Corpse doesn't say anything, only nods.

It's a week before Halloween when it's Corpse's turn to choose the movie for their movie night. He buys 10 tickets for everyone and they all switch up where they're sitting except Corpse and Sykkuno. They always sit next to each other. Rae has already finished half of her popcorn before the movie even starts.

A gasp escapes Sykkuno when he realises that Corpse chose the movie that he had wanted to see for the longest time. He turns to Corpse to see him fiddling with his rings. He looks up with a shy smile and tinted cheeks.

"You really wanted to see that movie." Corpse says as an explanation.

Sykkuno would have hugged Corpse if it wasn't for the handrest between their seats. So he catches Corpse's hand in his and gives it a squeeze, hoping that he would understand how grateful he is to him.

"Thank you." He mouths.

A smile blooms on Corpse's face and he doesn't let go of his hand the whole movie. His hand may be sweating profusely, he may want to eat his popcorn, but he doesn't let go off his hand.

To see the smile on Sykkuno's face when the movie ended was worth his extremely squeezed and numb hand. Sykkuno had laughed without covering his mouth for once and the sight made Corpse's heart ache for the lovely boy.

The way Sykkuno had squeezed his hand and smiled at him made Corpse more confident in their friendship. But the fact was that Corpse liked Sykkuno as more than just a friend was bugging him. He just needed to tell him that. But he wasn't sure if Sykkuno was into boys like that. And he didn't want to ruin their friendship.

On Halloween night he decides that he would at least make his own sexuality clear to all his friends. Coming out wasn't a big deal to him. But he just wanted to be accepted by his friends - and he knew he would be.

So as he makes his way towards Bretman's mansion dressed as the devil, horns and all, his heartbeat increases. The walk there takes less than 10 minutes considering he lives near the campus. He can hear the thump of the music from outside the house. The lawn is decorated in carved pumpkins and fairy lights.

He spots Bretman first when he steps into the living room which is crowded with people he doesn't even know. Bretman catches his eyes and makes his way towards him.

"Hiii, Corpse!"

"Hey, Bretman." He greets back.

"What are you?"

"I'm the devil."

"Ohhh, I'm Patrick from SpongeBob! You don't need to tell me I look good, I know I do."

Corpse laughs and is further introduced to half of Bretman's family. He meets his friends next. By the time he has met literally everyone at this party, he has become extremely anxious, starting to feel like the walls are closing in on him. All he needs is a drink and some fresh air.

He slowly makes his way towards the bar and orders a gin and tonic. As he drums his fingers on the surface of the bar nervously, he sees a figure approaching him from the corner of his eye.

"Sy...kkuno." He completes.

"Hi," Sykkuno says as he jumps up on the barstool besides him.

"You're a...." He looks at him up and down.

"A catboy." Sykkuno says as he points at his cat ears. "And you're the devil, I suppose?"

Corpse nods and downs his drink as soon as it's placed before him. Sykkuno watches him worriedly.

"Are you okay?"

"Uh, yeah. Just– a lot of people make me nervous."

"Oh, that's okay, I feel the same sometimes. I'm more of a stay at home guy." He nods.

As the night passes, the house is full with more and more people making Corpse's anxiety flies through the roof. He hasn't even brought his medication. He has gone to the washroom at least 4 times in the past 20 minutes to calm himself down. Sykkuno has watched him worriedly from afar most of the night. If Corpse had it his way, he'd steal Sykkuno away for himself the entire time. But he knows that he wants to spend time with Rae, Toast and Poki since they're best friends.

So when Sykkuno comes up to him way past midnight to ask if he's okay, Corpse shakes his head with tears in his eyes.

"Corpse, do you wanna get out of here?" Sykkuno asks with a worried hand on his arm.

Corpse's skin is tingling with the slight contact, but he manages to nod. Both the boys get out of the house and step into the lawn.

"Can I take you somewhere?" Corpse asks when he has had a breathe of fresh air.

"Um, sure." Sykkuno shrugs.

So the taller boy takes his hand and walks him on the streets for a few blocks till they're in the midst of nowhere.

"Did you plan on bringing me to this deserted area to murder me?" Sykkuno says with a smile in this voice.

"No, I just thought it'd be fun."

"It'd be fun to roam in the streets in the middle of the night?" Sykkuno raises his eyebrow.

"Just- just trust me?"

"Of course, I trust you, Corpse." Sykkuno finds himself answering in the beat of a second without hesitation.

to be continued.

~

Hi! Hope you liked the chapter :D

Oh, just an FYI, there's no covid in this universe lol T-T

Comments and votes are really appreciated :)

whole lotta love

xx r