26

When Corpse wakes up in the middle of the night, the first thing he wants to do is cry. Because everytime he wakes up on normal days, he's wrapped in Sykkuno's arms with his head on his chest, the heartbeat steady under his ear. Today though, after much tapping around the bed, he realises that Sykkuno never came back home.

After hours of waiting up and calling him and leaving voicemails till his inbox was full and muttering a happy fucking birthday to me, he had gone to bed hoping that he would wake up with arms full of his boyfriend.

He doesn't though.

He glances at the clock. it's 3 in the morning. There's no way Sykkuno is picking up his call at this hour, wherever he is.

So he makes the only decision that is sound to him.

~

"So, am I allowed to ask what happened or?"

Corpse doesn't answer. He probably doesn't even hear Meredith speaking besides him. He wonders if this was even the right decision to make. But he doesn't let his mind travel that way now that he has already made the decision. Instead he thinks about what he's going to do now. And when that thought gets overwhelming, he chooses to just tune it out and have a conversation with his sister.

"We can switch seats if you want. I can drive for a bit, you can rest." He offers.

"No, that's fine. A 3-hour ride isn't much for me." She shakes her head.

"Do you think I'm doing the right thing?"

Meredith looks at him sideways. "I don't know, Corpse. It's your decision."

Corpse sighs and contemplates just staying silent the entire ride but decides against it.

"Me and Sykkuno had a fight."

"Figured."

"Can you not be cocky just for once?"

"Okay, damn." Meredith widens her eyes.

"We've never really fought before. And we did today. And it was bad - really bad."

"What happened?"

"I yelled at him about how he must have a perfect relationship with his parents. I guess, he took offence in that." Corpse mutters. "I mean, I don't really know the whole deal about his parents. He's never talked about it. And if I ask, well, he dodges. He's really good at dodging questions."

"That's... yeah, that's bad." Meredith nods.

"Why, thank you." Corpse smiles sarcastically.

"Just give him some time, he'll come around. Don't bombard him with all your texts and calls and voicemails. This little time away from each other will be good for the both of you, I hope."

~

"Do you... do you want me to come with?" Meredith's voice quivers.

Maybe it's because of the early morning cold, or because she's nervous and on the verge of crying, Corpse doesn't know. He doesn't want to ask. He does get the hint that she doesn't want to come with, she's just asking for the sake of politeness. Either way, he doesn't want her to come.