15

trigger warning for panic attack

reach out to your loved ones if you need support. it's okay to ask for help!

"If only I could've got the answer to the 3A question."

"Baby, you've got everything else right, don't worry about it. It was just a one mark question."

It was their final exam for the mid semesters and as it was the evening already, the group had decided to go out for drinks. As much as Sykkuno was relieved about the exams being over, he was stressed about getting that one answer wrong.

Corpse is there for him though, he always is. He has his hand moving up and down in a comforting manner which is actually helping. He's so glad he has Corpse.

"Yeah, it's fine. The exams are over though. Which means now we have a lot of time together." Sykkuno says, meaning for it to sound flirty. It wouldn't to anyone else, but Corpse understands him. So he is a little disappointed when he gets no reply from him. "Corpse?"

His boyfriend has frozen in his spot though, staring off somewhere else. Sykkuno turns around to see who he's watching. Across the parking lot is a woman with dark hair and very distinctive features. Sykkuno feels like he has seen her before but he can't place her. She catches both of them looking at her though. The shock on her face is quickly replaced by a neutral expression.

"Um, Corpse?" Sykkuno tries to kick Corpse out of his trance but to no avail. The woman is walking towards them now.

"Corpse? Is that you?" She questions when she's at a meter distance from them. Up close, Sykkuno can see some more familiarity but still can't quite place her.

"Uh, yea– yeah. It's been a while. How have you been, Meredith?"

Meredith. Still can't place her.

"I've been alright. Just moved here. I got a job." She says and smiles.

"That's– that's great." Corpse nods.

"Who's your friend here?" She asks casually. But Sykkuno can feel Corpse's body tense up besides him even though he's standing at quite a distance from him.

"This is– this is Sykkuno. My boyfriend." He enunciates.

Corpse's hand comes up to rest at Sykkuno's lower back. In that moment he realises that Corpse isn't doing that for introductory purposes but that being in any sort of contact with Sykkuno makes him calm down and he doesn't feel so tense anymore. So Sykkuno leans into him more.

"Oh? I'm Meredith." She says, seemingly a bit annoyed that Corpse didn't introduce her.

Sykkuno still doesn't know who she is.

"Hi. Nice to meet you." Sykkuno provides with a smile, ever so polite.

Corpse's hand tightens on his back. He looks at the side profile of his face to find him clenching his jaw so tightly, his jawline looks like it may pop out. There's a bit of a pregnant pause after that. Mostly consisting of the woman examining them both, smiling ever so slightly. It's getting a bit awkward, so Sykkuno decides that it's time he pops in.

"Well, we have places to be, um, so we gotta go. I'm so sorry."

"Oh! That's fine. Don't let me keep you." She says, snapping out of her trance. She adds, "I hope I'll see you again?"

Corpse nods curtly. And without a word grabs Sykkuno's hand and starts walking away. Sykkuno is super confused but he knows better than to ask. He waits till Corpse drags him to Sykkuno's car. Sykkuno makes quick motions to open up the car and makes Corpse sit down in the backseat but doesn't close the door. He needs a bit of fresh air.

As soon as Corpse sits down in the backseat with his legs still outside the car, he buries his face into his hands. Sykkuno knows what's coming. He kneels down on the ground between his legs and starts rubbing his hands on his thighs in a comforting gesture, just like Corpse was doing for him a couple minutes.

Sykkuno makes quick work to rub his arms comfortingly and coaxing him to remove his hands from his face and breathe properly. When he does, he notices his red rimmed eyes and the shaking of his hands.

"Hey, hey. I need you to breathe, okay?" Sykkuno says as he gets up to his feet and makes a move to see if he needs a hug. Corpse complies, and holds onto him as if his life depends on him. Sykkuno starts rubbing his back.

"Can you do something for me? Can you um, name everything that you see?" Sykkuno says, not sure if it will work on him. But this technique has helped him out quite a few times when he was having a panic attack.

Corpse nods against his chest. "Cars. Um, trees. Uh, the road?"

"That's good, that's good. Can you name what you smell?" Sykkuno asks further, keeping up with his technique.

"Petrol. Your cologne." He mumbles.

"What do you hear?"

"Your heartbeat." He answers, breathing going back to normal slowly.

"What can you feel?"

"You." He mumbles again, clutching him tighter. "Only you."

He plants a kiss on top of his head and continues to rub his back while rocking them back and forth. He doesn't know how long they're there. It's a long time because most of the cars from the parking lot are gone. They got a lot of weird glances from people passing by making him anxious, but he doesn't let his brain make this all about him.

When Corpse pulls away, his eyes look sore from crying and his cheek has lines from pressing against Sykkuno's t-shirt for so long.

"You good?" Sykkuno asks, wincing at his own question.

"Let's just go home."

So Sykkuno drives him home, and promises to stay with him. Even goes as far as cancelling his plans for going out to drink with his friends, saying he wouldn't have drank much anyway. Corpse doesn't say much, but he's really thankful to Sykkuno.

pt. 2 coming soon

who do you think Meredith is :O

just would like to say that panic attacks usually aren't that easy to get out of. and I know that since I've experienced them a lot. so please ask for help if you need it, because sometimes you just need a helping hand and there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for help. talk about your problems and don't let them get pent up inside of you, that's not very healthy. hope all of you have somebody to confide in, ily<3

hope you liked the chapter :)

votes and comments are really appreciated :)

whole lotta love xx r