din djarin | freedom

requested by sondercoyfish ; i changed this request very slightly because i recently read an imagine on tumblr that was very similar to this request and didn't want to look like i copied. :-) and i left it open ended in case anyone wanted a part 2 maybe

/ / /

Your legs couldn't move quick enough. Your lungs couldn't breathe in deeply enough. You were struggling, running so desperately towards the first glimpse of freedom you'd ever seen. Like a gleam of light, the abandoned X-WING before you offered you something you'd never been lucky enough to experience: a chance. You prayed it would fly. Who knew how long it'd been left in the forest, gathering up dust and vines that wrapped around the wings of it tightly.

You didn't let yourself dwell on the what-ifs of this moment too much. This was your chance, and Force, if you weren't grateful for it.

You climbed up on the wing to get to the cockpit. Your fingers to the edge of the wing and you let out a gasping groan as you pulled the rest of your shaking body up. You were almost there. Almost there. The stale smell of your prison cell was far behind you now. Freedom was all you could taste, all you could smell, all you could feel.

And it was yours. As you lowered yourself toward the cockpit legs first, your hands gripping the wing, a smile growing on your face. It was yours.

Until it wasn't.

You knew that he had been following you. You couldn't hear him or see him, but the Empire must've sent dozens of bounty hunters after you. He grabbed you underneath your arms and lifted you back off of the X-WING. You shouted as he tossed you over the wing. You hit the forest floor with a grunt, feeling the pinching of twigs and pine under your body. He jumped off of the wing and landed in front of you. A blaster was pointed right at your face.

You sat up and scrambled back, shaking your head. Gasps of fear burst out of your throat. "No, please, w-wait---"

The Mandalorian tossed you something. They landed in front of you. A pair of cuffs.

"Cuff yourself," he demanded coldly.

"Please," you whispered, dropping your head. You stared at them. Just like that, freedom was gone. Your voice was full of dread as you replied, "I don't want to do this."

"I'm not giving you an option," he said.

"You'll just have to kill me," you said, raising your eyes to look at him. "Because I'm not going back."

He tilted his head, seemingly impatient. "I can't kill you. They want you alive. Now I can bring you in warm, or I can bring you in cold. You've got five seconds to decide."

Your chances weren't good no matter which way you looked at it. You looked down again as the tears filled your eyes. Maybe freedom wasn't something you were able to have. You cuffed yourself.

"Great," he said. He bent down to grab you by your elbow. He jerked you to your feet harshly. "Let's go."

"How long had you been following me?" you asked, shuffling your feet forward. When he didn't reply, you added, "I'd just like to know."

"A while. Why does it matter?"

"I just wanted to know," you said, "how long I had myself fooled that I made it."

He didn't say anything, didn't even react. You walked the rest of the way in silence. His ship wasn't all that far away. It was only a couple hours walk, with him trailing behind you, watching you silently with a blaster pointed to your back. The sun was setting. You didn't know the name of this planet. It only had one sun. How strange, you thought.