poe dameron | rise of the resistance

The suns were bright against your face and too warm to be comfortable. You groaned, wishing for them to go away. You longed for even an extra minute of sleep. A familiar and comforting laugh beside you and a tight arm around your waist made you turn away from the small window.

He looked much brighter than the suns. Far more beautiful. And he made you smile.

"Bad day already?" Poe murmured, brushing a few messy strands of hair from your forehead.

"No," you said, rubbing your eyes. "Just annoyed by the suns is all."

"Naturally." He laughed at you.

"But today's a good day," you said. "Promise."

"It certainly is a big one," he said with a sigh.

You groaned and stretched, remembering all that was on your plate for the first part of the morning. "Unfortunately, you're right. I've got to gather the new recruits and start their training."

"You don't have to go so soon, do you?" he asked, wrapping one arm around your middle and pulling you against him. He sat up slowly and you laughed, letting him hold you for a moment.

"I do," you said. "The future of the Resistance lies in my hands, you know."

"Come on, anyone could train those recruits," he said.

"Hey. They could, but not as well as me."

"Alright, I'll give you that one." His grip on you tightened for a moment. "Hopefully here soon we have a day off together."

"Hopefully," you agreed. Days off were rare now. You turned your head and kissed your husband sweetly. "You rest a little bit longer. I'm sure they'll be calling you to the front lines here soon."

"Yes ma'am," he said, yawning loudly.

"I'll see you in a bit, okay?"

"I'll see you." He gave your arm a gentle squeeze before you pulled away, moving to your closet to grab your uniform before heading into the refresher to change and freshen up.

He was asleep again when you left, having changed into your brown uniform with your hair tied back into a tight ponytail. Poe was soaking up every moment of rest he could before he had to leave for a busy day, and you didn't want to disturb him. You very quietly left your quarters and walked directly into a very busy base, where everyone was preparing for a day's work. You knew your schedule before it would even pop up for you. Find the recruits, introduce yourself, describe the basic training, and divide it into sections. Weapons, defense, information, navigation, piloting. Every recruit would have an important part here on base.

Connix spotted you as soon as you stepped out into view. She said your name and you turned towards her. "Where are the recruits? Are they ready?"

Her hands held tightly onto a datapad as she kept up with your pace. "Change of plans," she said, slightly breathless.

"Change of plans?" Your eyebrows furrowed. "You mean, I'm not training recruits?"

"No, you are, but we have to transport them first," she said.

You slowed to a stop, grabbing her arm. "I'm sorry. Transport them where?"