anakin skywalker | all i've ever needed

i feel like i've been falling into a slight writing slump lately, idk why. but Melonhead15 asked for an anakin skywalker imagine and well. i am in love with him obviously so here ya go ... also we are going to be reunited for the first time in almost a year in like two days!! ahhhhhhhhh!!

just a little over a month til we're in galaxy's edge together : D i can't wait til we're dressed as rey and padme, building lightsabers, hanging out in the cantina, piloting the falcon, and pretending we're living in one of my fics <3 

1.2k+ words

/  /  /  /

Anakin's plans never worked out. They seemed to work out even less when you were at his side. Whether he was distracted or just showing off, you weren't sure, but he was constantly getting thrown into danger. Dozens of blasters pointed at his chest, a lightsaber nearing the flesh of his throat, an army of droids throwing themselves in his direction. You were always the one saving him. 

"What do I have to worry?" he would say when you would confront him about it. "I've got you, after all, and you haven't failed me yet." 

And you would smile, because he was so lighthearted about the whole situation, and sometimes it felt like you really could protect him from anything. You saved him far more than he saved you. 

Until today. 

It happened so quickly. You didn't see Count Dooku move. For some reason, you couldn't register how he darted across the room, leaving Obi-Wan unconscious on the floor. His lightsaber was ignited and he was swiping it so it would lash against your chest, right where your heart was--- 

Except he didn't. Anakin shouted your name and jumped in front of you. The crimson blade went right through him. You couldn't see his face, but you could hear the choking sound of his lips and the slumping of his shoulders. 

"A-Anakin," you croaked. Your hands reached out and grabbed his waist as Dooku yanked the blade from his center. "What did you do? Ani --- what did you do?" 

Anakin slumped forward on the ground and you turned him over quickly, brushing the hair from his face and looking down at his eyes. They focused on you and then froze not even a second later. He was gone. In that moment, he was gone. 

The cry was ripped directly from your soul. You gripped the front of his robes tightly and screamed, "Anakin!" 

Dooku laughed. "The chosen one is dead!" 

"Ani, no!" You shook him as you started to plea. "Ani, you can't do this. You can't leave me like this! Anakin!" 

Dooku's laugh grew louder. The Emperor was saying something to you, telling you to kill the Sith Lord that had just murdered your lover, but you couldn't focus on anything except the stillness of Anakin, the absence of a smile on his face, and how limp his hand was in yours. All you could do was scream. The entire plan fell from you. What were you even told to do, anyway? None of it mattered. Nothing mattered. Your entire soul was ripped from you and all you could do was scream for him to come back as the sounds of your crying slowly turned into a distant echo and the edges of your eyesight glimmered. 

You woke with a gasping start, ripping the blankets from your legs and screaming out with every sharp exhale of breath. Your entire body hurt from how tense it was as you forced yourself out of your sleep. You glanced around your room and tried to make sense of what was true and what was not. 

You had been asleep. It was in the middle of the night. You were dreaming. That meant that Anakin was alive, just as he had been when he kissed you goodnight after dinner. 

You dropped your face in your hands. The crown of your head was damp with sweat. With trembling fingers, you swiped it all away, slowly feeling your breathing return to normal. Exhaustion returned to your consciousness, but you knew there would be no sleep for you until you saw Anakin again. 

Slipping into the first pair of shoes you could find and wrapped yourself in a thin white robe, you left your room in your pajamas. The halls were silent. The outside was not. You walked as quickly and as quietly as you could to Anakin's room. 

You knocked three times before he answered. He pulled the door open and peeked out. He was dressed in a pair of navy pants, and other than the matching robe he was pulling around his shoulders, his chest was bare. His eyebrows furrowed when they saw you standing there.

"___? What are you doing?" He glanced over your head to look both ways down the hallways before he put his hand on your shoulder and gently pushed you inside. He shut the door and turned around. "It's late. Weren't you sleeping?" 

"I was," you said, clearing your throat when you realized how hoarse you sounded. 

"You're trembling." His arms moved around you completely. He glanced down worriedly, then pulled you close. "Hey, it's alright. Come here. What happened?"

"A bad dream," you whispered. You shut your eyes as your cheek lay on his chest. He smoothed down your messy hair. "A bad dream that I am terrified will become real. Just like yours did." 

"Would you like to talk to me about it?" 

"Yes." You lifted your head. "But if I tell you, I am afraid it will only upset you."

The side of his pointer finger brushed against your chin. Gently, he raised your head. You looked at him; his face was illuminated by the bright pinks, yellows, and blues of the city outside of the tall window behind you.  "What about it would upset me? Were you hurt in it?"

"I mean, yes," you said, "but not in the way you're thinking. We were on a mission... a mission saving to save Chancellor Palpatine, I think. We were facing against Count Dooku and Obi-Wan was unconscious on the floor. You jumped in front of me to save my life and --- and you were killed. I held you while you died, Ani, and I watched the life leave your eyes. It was too real to be a dream. It was real." You reached up and cupped his face, trying to focus on how warm his skin was --- how alive he was. "I couldn't save you this time, Anakin."

He covered your hands with his and smiled. "This was just a dream. Nothing more." 

"No, it was a vision," you said, "and one that I won't let come true. I won't lose you, Ani." 

"And you won't," he promised. "If this is a true vision, then we know what situation to avoid. We'll be on guard. You'll be alright and so will I." You still looked worried so he pulled your hands away and leaned in close. "Smile, ___."

You couldn't. There were tears filling your eyes and you pressed your lips into a tight line. The worry was too real and just at the forefront of your mind. It hurt so terribly to think of how it felt to hold him in your arms as he died. 

"Come on," he laughed. "I'm not worried. You shouldn't be, either. Besides, what do I have to worry? I've got you, after all, and you haven't failed me yet."

Finally, you managed a smile, but it didn't reach your eyes. Anakin kissed you quickly and then pulled you into his arms, pressing his face into the crook of your neck as he squeezed you tightly. He laughed softly against your skin and sighed. 

As you clung to him, your eyes focused on the wall behind your head, and you made a promise. A promise that you would not lose the one man you knew you loved more than anyone in this life.