din djarin | more than you could ever know

another self indulgent imagine? you bet! i turn 22 years old today! :-) ;1.1k+ words

/ / /

He blamed it on his years spent completely alone. Celebrating becoming another year older was something of the past.

He could remember his mother and her sweet smile waking him up in the morning to tell him to come out for a surprise. He would run out of his bedroom to find his father placing a small cake topped with fruits they'd purchased in the marketplace.

He loved his birthday. His father told him that not everyone was lucky enough to celebrate theirs nowadays, but it was important for people to celebrate the ones they loved on their special day.

So when it came to you, he didn't know what to do. He knew he had to do something. When you'd mentioned how you were born on the first day of summer on Endor, he marked the day so he wouldn't forget.

But now he didn't know how to celebrate.

There were a hundred things he could do for you. Make you a nice dinner (although the space on the Razor Crest would cause a problem), give you time away from the kid, who had been an absolute nightmare lately, or buy you something nice. Maybe a dress, some jewelry, flowers...

None of those things seemed to fit you. And yet he couldn't think of any better way to celebrate you.

When you woke up in the morning, he was already awake. Not to leave on a solo mission, but to make you a bowl of leftover stew from the night before and a cup of caf to wake you up.

"You've already gotten everything ready?" you asked, surprised. He nodded and wordlessly handed you a bowl, a spork, and then sat your mug on the makeshift dining table you'd made. You grinned, laughing lightly. "What --- what is all of this for?"

He sat down in front of you, setting his own bowl on the table. He bent down to pick up the kid, sit him on his own knee, and removed his helmet. Grogu babbled and reached for your spoon. You took a spoonful of stew to pass to him and Din gently pushed your hand away.

"No," he said. Grogu stared at him, take great offense to his still empty mouth. "You eat."

You blinked, surprised. "Well I can give him some of mine, Din---"

"I'll feed him," he reassured you.

"Okay," you said. "So when did the two of you wake up? Usually I'm the first one stirring this early. Did I just sleep in and not realize it?"

"No," he said, "I just woke up first. Wanted to get a headstart on breakfast."

"Well, I appreciate it. Thank you."

"You're welcome." He stared at you as you took a long sip of caf. "Hey, what do you say we head off to Naboo? Hunker down there for a couple days. Maybe we can stay by the lake, you know, that spot you loved as a kid?"

"Oh, Din, I haven't been there for ages," you gushed. "Not since my sister was elected queen."

"Wouldn't it be nice?" he asked. He reached across the table and covered your hand with his. "Just me, you, and the kid? You've always talked about how long you've wished to return. Now is the perfect time. Moff Gideon is gone. The kid is done training. We've got time."

Time. A gift so rare in your world. Life had been so peaceful, so without struggle or fear recently, and you'd loved every moment of it.

"Well, who am I to argue with that?" you said. "If a trip is what you want, then let's go."

"But is it what you want?"

Your eyebrows pulled together. "Well, yes, of course. Din, why---"

"I have something for you." His words were fast and rushed. None of this was planned, none of it was as elegant and romantic as he pictured it to be in his head. He wanted this to be a day where you felt loved even more than you already were, but his celebrating days were a little rusty. The Guild didn't allow for days such as these.

He put Grogu on your lap and rushed to the back of the ship. He rummaged through the pile of scraps he'd hidden it under. You watched curiously as he pulled a thin brown box out and turned around. He held it up in his hands and smiled shyly.

You shook your head. "What is this?"

"A gift," he said, "for you."

"Me?" You raised your eyebrows as he swapped you the baby for the box.

"Open it," he encouraged, and Grogu echoed a babbled version of the same thing, opening and closing his tiny hands.

"Okay." You lifted the lid of the box and removed the thin sheets of soft paper that covered what was hidden inside. A quiet gasp left your lips as you pulled out a forest green gown with long, flowing sleeves and an entire garden of sweet-smelling flowers attached to the soft skirt. You stood and let the dress unfold. You held it to your body and started in awe. "Oh, Din. What is this?"

"Do you like it?" he asked.

"It looks like something a princess would wear," you said.

"That's the idea," he replied. "It will look beautiful on you."

Your eyes met his as your heart melted. You smiled sweetly and carefully placed the dress in the box before turning to look at him. "Din, what is going on?"

"Nothing," he said, and he took your hand. "Nothing, except... I want to celebrate you."

"Oh," you said, and your smile grew. "You remembered."

"Of course I did," he said. "I didn't know what you'd truly want, so I decided that I would give you everything you deserved, but that is far more than I could ever give you."

You reached up and touched his face. "Din, my love, all I could ask for are moments like this. Just me, you, and our son. Finally free. Finally together. Of course, if you want to buy me pretty dresses and take me back to Naboo to spend the days in my favorite meadow together, I will not argue."

He chuckled and leaned down, his forehead meeting yours in a feather-light touch. Grogu reached for your hand, and you let him hold your pointer finger and you stared into his deep, dark eyes, loving the way he smiled at you like you were his favorite person in the galaxy.

"We love you more than you could ever know," your husband whispered to you, and you believed it.

"You two... you both are my everything. My heart and my soul. I love you, Din. Thank you for everything."

He held you close to him and snuggled his way in between both of you as Din added, "Until I find out who to thank, I will thank the stars for you every day."