han solo | late nights

1k words

///

The Falcon, for once, was quiet. The princess, the kid, the droids - they were all off in their own little corners, either sleeping or waiting silently for the ship to land at the destination. The silence you were thankful for, but the chilliness in the air, you were not. It was cold in the metal corridors, and you wandered through them, arms hugging your torso as you made your way to the cockpit. Chewbacca passed you, offering a nod of acknowledgement. 

You continued on in search of the one person you always wanted to find. It wouldn't be difficult to find him; he was typically in the same spot as always. In the pilot's seat, navigating everyone safely, watching after the Falcon. That was where you found him, literally staring off into space.

"It's cold," you said, yanking him out of his thoughts. He turned and looked at you, hummed in agreement, and went back to his original position. Hand covering his mouth, elbow on the dash, eyes on the stars. "I can hardly stand it. It's so cold." 

You stood next to him and leaned down slowly, your arms wrapping around his shoulders. Your cheek pressed against the side of his head and you turned your head to kiss him gently on his temple. You kept your moments slow, trying to get his attention. 

"It's late. You should be gettin' to sleep too," he told you.

"Didn't you hear me when I first came in?" you asked. "I said it was too cold to stand. There's no way I'll be able to sleep in this."

He huffed. "Well, I don't know what you want me to do about it! Go cuddle up with the Wookie if it means that much to ya!"

You rolled your eyes and laughed. "You get so worked up over the easiest things, Solo," you told him. 

"Yeah, alright."

You moved so that you could look down at him and he could see you. You were messing with him like you always did. And you always could get to him, no matter how much he tried to deny it. "What's so hard about kissing me so I just shut up already?" 

His lips twitched. "Nothin'. Nothin' at all." His hand was on the back of your neck and he was stretching up out of his seat, pulling you down at the same time, wanting to meet you halfway. Your hands were on his shoulders and you kissed him gently. 

Pulling back, your eyelids were heavy with sleepiness, and so were his. "There. Was that so hard?" 

"No ma'am," he murmured, brushing a lock of hair away from your face. 

You leaned in and kissed him once more, quickly this time. "I love you, Solo." 

"I know," he sighed happily as he scooted over to make room for you. You were half on his lap, half not, your back against his chest. He wrapped his arms around your middle and you both looked off into the vastness of space; it was all either of you had ever known. You'd made a home out of the Falcon. Out of each other.

"Han?" 

"Hm?"

"You ever think about our future? Mine and yours specifically --- not all of us." 

"'Course I do," he said. "You're my future."

"You ever think you and I are gonna settle down somewhere, get married? Have a kid? Or two?" you asked. A future was always on the forefront of your mind. You could picture the children you would have with him. You could picture living far, far away in complete peace. "Or are we just gonna be rescuing princesses and ticking off Jabba the Hutt all our lives?" 

"Hey, we do more than rescue princesses and tick off Jabba, you know," he said, defensively. "I got a whole line of people just waiting for me to disappoint them!" 

You laughed. "Han," you said, seriously this time. 

He hesitated for a moment before mumbling, "Uh, I don't know."

"Do you just not think about that kind stuff?" you asked, a little afraid of hearing the answer. He was staring at your hand, slipping his fingers between yours, focusing on the look of them together to avoid looking at you. "Like marriage and kids?"

"No, no, I do," he told you. "Honest. I think about what you're gonna find to wear on our wedding day, 'cause we don't have any nice dresses for you. And I wonder if there are going to be... more of us. I think about all that stuff, but... I don't know." 

"You don't know?"

"I don't know where we will end up. I figure it doesn't really matter. Kids or no kids, marriage now or marriage later... so long as I get to keep livin' this way with you, I'm happy. We got our own thing going for us right now, and currently... I think it works." 

You turned to catch his eye, and he was staring at you again in the way that always sent your heart fluttering in your rib cage. You smiled, you couldn't help but smile, really - and you turned so that you could kiss him deeply. "You're right."

"Shocking, huh? Sometimes, my dear, I can just be right." You laughed softly. He kissed your cheek and patted your side. "You should get some sleep."

"So should you. You've had a long day just as I have." You got off of him and took both of his hands. "Come on, Chewie can take the pilots chair for the night. He's up, anyway. I can guarantee he's getting some snacks for the evening, anyway." 

"Alright," he sighed in acceptance and defeat. "I'll sleep for a while."

He slung his arm over your shoulder and pulled you in close. You closed your eyes and smiled when he kissed the top of your head. 

"I love you," he told you. 

You wrapped your arms around his waist and walked him out of the cockpit, sleep on your mind.