cassian andor | rebel

we'll pretend the end of rogue one never happened with this imagine bc that's a happier thought for us all; requested by khaki83101; 1.5k words

/ / /

To say he was exhausted was an understatement. The fate of the Rebel Alliance was finally looking up as it grew more and more with each passing week. More people were recruited, more soldiers stationed, and more secret bases created. Eagerness to serve in the Rebellion was sparking across the galaxy, and everyone was walking around with tired eyes full of determination and spirit. 

Everyone except Cassian Andor. 

Lately, he was lucky to get two hours of sleep a night. He was lucky to remain on base for more than three hours before he was whisked away to go on a different mission. It was rare for him to experience normalcy at all nowadays, and it was finally taking a toll on him as he fell asleep over his dinner. 

"Sweetheart." The voice, loud and stern, snapped him out of his dozing. He blinked hard to focus his eyes. You leaned across the table, touching his chin, and smiled. "You're too tired to eat, huh?" 

He stretched and yawned, but he shook his head. "No. I'm fine. Dinner's good, honey."

You tilted your head and gave him a knowing look. He never had to pretend to like your food; even the plain noodles you cooked over the tiny burner in your shared quarters. He slurped a few noodles and then washed it down with a gulp of blue milk. 

"You need rest," you said.

"So do you." It was no secret that you both were exhausted. As two spies for the Rebellion, there were plenty of missions to go on, plenty of reports to complete, and there were always people that wanted to talk to both of you. The only time you saw each other outside of work was when you were eating dinner or going to bed. 

"I will as soon as I clean up." You stood up and reached for his bowl. "Are you done?" 

He sighed and leaned his head against his hand. "Yes." 

You took the bowl from him and then leaned down to kiss him on the top of his head. A crinkly-eyed smile was what you got in return, and it made your heart warm and skip a beat all at once. He always had that affect on you, even after nearly five years of marriage. He stood up slowly from the table, stretching his arms over his head. You took the bowls to the sink. 

"Go ahead and get to bed, Cas. Remember, I'll be waking you up before the sun's up so we can get a head start." 

He turned and groaned. "That early? We don't have to report until noon, and that means we shouldn't leave until---" 

"The mission was pre-approved," you said cheerfully. "We don't have to report anywhere. We can just go as soon as we get up." 

"But we have to get up so early?" he asked. 

"Cassian, this mission is really important," you said, turning away from the sink. Soap dripped down your arms and onto the floor, pooling around your feet. "I think we should really get a head start on it. We can rest when the war is won." 

He laughed. "When the war is won?" 

"Yes." 

"The war has hardly begun," he said. "If you don't plan on resting until it's over, then---" 

"Cassian," you said in a sing-song voice, "if you're so tired, you should go ahead and get to bed. You can always sleep on the way to Endor, too." 

He sighed and rubbed his face. There would be no arguing with you; there was a spark in your eyes every time you spoke of the war. You were persistent, and honestly, he did not want to argue with you. The sooner he was done with the mission, the sooner he would be at home --- and maybe able to get a couple more hours of sleep in.