finn | gold of sunshine

Melonhead15 and i were discussing how we each needed to do a soulmate au and here's mine! also it's dedicated to her as a thank you for helping me with my final projects all this week :-) and to celebrate that it'll be 20 days now til she's able to visit and spend the summer with me again! for those of you that are new, we met here on wattpad over three years ago now and eventually became best friends. this will be the third summer she spends with me! so this imagine is for you <3

soulmate au (note: this is the soulmate au where the world is in black and white until you see your soulmate); 2.6k+ words

/ / / 

He absolutely did not want to do this.

There was a storm of emotions inside of him, wrecking his mind. The blaster in his hands felt almost too heavy to lift. His feet stomped quickly through the sand, following the lead of his brothers as they approached the tiny village in the middle of a dark, sandy planet. Jakku.

Their only instruction was to gain control of the citizens and seize the entire settlement. From there, their order was to search every inch of the place for the map. It was in the custody of one of the villagers; Lor San Tekka. Before loading into the transports, they were told to study his picture so they would see him if he tried to run or hide.

But he did not want to do this.

From the moment his feet hit the sand, the entire scene was a bloodbath. Some villagers fought back, some screamed and ran. Anyone who wasn't Lor San Tekka was in danger of being killed. They wanted no prisoners except for the man with the map.

He planted his feet firmly in the grey sand and raised his blaster. He fired without aiming, too terrified to put much thought into a single shot. He didn't want to hurt anybody.

At his right, one of the troopers fell to the ground as a blaster shot met the side of his head. As his body fell, he rushed over to him. The shaky, black-stained hand of the hit trooper lifted and brushed against his helmet. He flinched as a smear of tar-color was wiped against the visor of his helmet. Disgusted and horrified, he stood up quickly, the blaster shots now sounding distant in his ears, the screams sounding much more prominent.

There was so much death. So much hurt. He could feel it inside of everyone. Their terror, their anger, their grief, their pain. It cut him deeply.

He started to move, his feet shuffling clumsily as he tried to get away as quickly as possible. His breaths were coming out too fast and sweat was pouring down his face. As he ran, he looked behind him, afraid that someone would see him and shoot him down for being a traitor.

He was not a traitor. He just couldn't do it. He wasn't ready.

Someone knocked into him as he moved. He yelped and jumped back, raising his blaster without thinking. The girl standing in front of him, dressed in grey rags and wearing a face of terror, raised hers in return. He locked eyes with her and blinked, and then everything was in color.

Vaguely he could remember it. He could remember hearing about color from a voice he couldn't put a face or name to. About how vibrant it made everything. Now he could see it all; the depth of color in her eyes, the shadows casted across her cheeks, the flickers of fire that surrounded the entire village, the blue sparks flying as blaster shots missed villagers and took out droids and podracers and speeder bikes. Even with his vision shrouded by his helmet, he could see her. Really see her.

He dropped his blaster and held up his hands. He couldn't have killed the girl anyway, but he didn't want her to think that he was a threat to her when she was probably just as terrified as he was. His gun dropped to the sand and she lowered hers slowly, blinking several times before glancing around.