The Invitation

"I'm glad you called".

"Would you like to come to diner at the palace?"

"Yes I would love to just let me know when".

"5 o'clock tomorrow or is that not enough notice for you?"

"That's fine I finish work at 4 do you want me to bring anything. A bottle of wine perhaps?"

"That would be lovely a bottle of white wine would be nice".

"See you then", Eva hangs up.

I call my older sister Victoria she lives in Sardinia with her husband Diego and daughter Sophia,

"Hey sis I finally have a date with her".

"OMG William I'm so happy for you".

"Thanks I don't know what to make her",  she starts laughing.

"I don't get it what's with the laughter?"

"Something tells me you will find a lasagna in your fridge when you come home tomorrow from your engagement".

"I still don't get it Vic why's that funny and why would I find another lasagna in my fridge?"

"I'm not going to spoil it for you how's dad doing?"

"He's great he's dating again I've not seen him this happy in a long time. And the best thing is Maria is from an old aristocratic family. So she understands our way of life".

"So she's not a social climber like mum then?"

"She's the daughter of an aristocrat and she's so lovely Vic. She has no airs or graces. She's just a sweet woman and she's young enough to give dad another child".

There was silence on the phone for a while, "He deserves happiness William and if he chooses to remarry I'm all for it. He's still in his prime how old is Maria?"

"She turns 36 this year she has no children and no scandals attached to her. It sounds cruel but I want them to go public so mum can see how happy he is without her".

"Me too little brother me too".

  I clear my throat, "I've to go love you".

"Love you too William take care and look after dad for me".

"I will". I end the call and go see one of my best friends Giovanni Costa for our usual squash game.

Giovanni and I have been friends since primary(elementary)school and he as always been there for me. We are like brothers he knows about my crush on Eva. He's an Italian prince who has the title of Principe Of Campania which dates back centuries. He doesn't use the title in his everyday life. In fact most people don't know he's an actual prince. I walk onto the squash courts to see him warming up.

We greet each other, "What's with that big smile on your face. You got lucky last night man or what?"

"Nope I finally got a date with her  Giovanni".

He didn't need to ask who every since I met Eva over seven years ago I've liked her. But in the last year or so I came to realise it wasn't a school boy crush. She's two years younger than me so she's twenty-five. I knew from talking to Eva her career was important to her. I watched her pursue her dream of being an accountant while silently being proud of her.

"I'm happy for you man".

"Thanks".

Giovanni and I play our squash game it was brutal since we both like to win. Giovanni won this round and I was determine to win next time. I hurriedly shower and changed into jeans and a blue button up. I watch Giovanni adding mouse to his short jet black hair.