Pain and Loss(chapter 4)

Eva's parents were great and so were her siblings Daniel and Faith. Since everyone on my side of the family already knew who Eva was. I didn't have to do a big family dinner instead I invited dad and Maria over to meet her. They loved her as I knew they would. Unfortunately so far I haven't had a chance to introduced her to Emma. For some reason except for doing her engagements she wasn't around much.

The truth is I was glad Emma wasn't around she has been so bad tempered lately. I just knew she would spoil my happiness somehow.

The formal invitation to my niece's christening has arrive and I'm allowed to bring Eva as my guest. It will be my coming out in public with her. We would have been dating for six months by the time we get to Sardinia.

Giovanni was the last person I introduced Eva to his first words to her were.

"Hot damn you're hot are you sure you want to be with him? I can show you a better time you know Eva. I'm richer than him too that means. I can keep you in the life of luxury you've grown up in".

I was upset at this till Eva winks at me, "I'm the daughter of a billionaire with a B you can never keep me in the splendour I'm accustomed to. I'm so rich I need round the clock bodyguards because I'm a kidnapped risk. I will never want you because William lays it down so good he's spoilt me for any other man".

Giovanni was open mouthed then he laughs a hearty laugh, "I like you I'm Giovanni the bestfriend by the way".

"Eva Thomas please to meet you", they shake hands.

"You hurt him I'll hurt you female or no female. There are many ways to hurt a woman other than violence".

I raise a eyebrow at him, "Really Giovanni".

He shrugs, "What I like her".

I open my arms and Eva sits on my lap we were watching stranger things in English. All three of us spoke very good English without an accent. It was our way of practicing the language.

When Giovanni left I bought up the subject of Sophia's christening to Eva and my wanting her to go with me.

"We will be out as a couple for all the world to see William that means no more hiding are you really ready for that?"

"Yes I'm, you're not some one night stand I'm ashamed of. You're the person for the last seven years I knew would be my wife".

She gasps, "You can really see me in your life as your wife?"

I nod my head Eva hugs me and starts to cry. I propose to her the night before we left for Italy and she said yes. Only my uncle, dad and her family knows. I'll tell Victoria's I'm going to propose to Eva after the christening so I don't spoil my niece special day.

Eva and I arrive in Italy with my father and cousin but my older sister Emma was not with us. Eva and I are shown to our room where we freshen up before I formally introduce her to Victoria and Diego.

It's the day of the christening everyone gets ready and are driven to the church. A shot is fired and the police is pushing Eva and I back into our car. My sister tried to kill our father outside the church by shooting him. Thank god he was wearing a bulletproof vest which saved his life.

I stood outside the church in amazement and listen as Emma tells everyone. How much she hates Victoria and how she tried to kill her child. As I listen to Emma talk my legs almost buckle underneath me luckily Eva held me up.

I can't get my head around the fact that Emma knew mum was hitting Victoria.  She told the world she got pleasure from Victoria's pain. How does jealousy causes you to turn on your family like that?

Sitting in the church with my mother and Emma watching the christening while they were in handcuffs was surreal. Victoria didn't want them taken away before they saw her daughter christened.  She wanted them to see her happy since they try to murder the people she loves. When we get back to the palace I went for a walk in the garden. I thought Eva was going to come after me but dad did instead.

Listening to everything that Emma and mom has done is sickening. They tried to kill Victoria's on her honeymoon that's why Emma was 'Demoted'.

Dad leaves me in the garden and a few minutes later I see Eva walking towards me.

"I'm pregnant", was the first thing she said to me.

I hug her and start to cry, "Are those happy tears or sad tears?"

"Happy tears that something good could come from today".

"I told your dad he ask me if that's why we got engaged. I told him you didn't know about the baby yet".

We found a bench to sit on and stay in the garden leaning on each other.

The next day Eva went with Vic and the other ladies to a spa. Dad and I was having a private conversation.

"They're going to die, my ex-wife and my daughter".

"I can't defend the indefensible dad".

"That woman is pure poison she destroyed Victoria's childhood and early twenties. Not content with doing that she then moved unto Emma".

"Dad I'm sorry but you could have die I'll take you over them any day. I know you and Maria have broken up but she's good for you dad . She can help you through this and you're still young enough to get married and have more children. Dad, Victoria  and I want to see you happy you deserve to be happy".

I leave him to his thoughts and wondered when did some of the members of my family become unrecognisable. Before we leave Sardinia Victoria and I sat down to a deep discussion. We talked about moving forward from the Emma and mum Fiasco.

"They didn't win William and that's the most important thing  they didn't win".

I was not looking forward to touching down in Denmark I knew the newspapers were full of details of my mother and sister being sentenced to death. I also knew the tabloids would be trying to get a picture of me and Eva together.

In three weeks the world would know we were engaged it was more important that ever Eva was protected. I was glad she would have royal protection right away. People can speculate all they want at seeing her with them before the engagement announcement.

Eva's stuff was moved into my apartment in the Palace while we were away. When we arrive home we showered and put on our pjs. Then curl up in bed together just holding each other in silence.

I was given time off from royal engagements along with my father for several weeks. I didn't have Victoria's strength to face the world straight away. But then again I'm not going to be king I don't need to be stoic I can show my pain to the world. I know Debbie has several engagements tomorrow she can't cancel.

I slept for a long time. I woke up to Eva shaking me, "William I need to go to the doctor I'm bleeding".

I hurriedly put some clothes on and call the royal physician then ask him to meet us at the main palace in Copenhagen. We sat in the doctor's office waiting on blood and test results. I knew from the doctor's face that we lost the baby when he confirmed it Eva broke down in tears.

The doctor leaves us and I just hold her, "I lost our baby".

"The doctor said miscarriages happen sometimes and we can still get pregnant again if we want to".

"I know but I wanted this baby William I was six weeks pregnant.  Maybe because I didn't wait till I was past the three months mark to tell people. I jinx us and lost our baby".

"You didn't do anything to lose our baby".

"You think I killed our baby don't you".

"No Eva I don't but I think the shock of seeing my dad being shot at could've caused you stress. If anything by taking you to Italy I killed our baby".

"That's ridiculous the doctor just said sometimes miscarriages happen. With no known cause they can pinpoint to as the reason.

When Eva calms down enough we tell our families about the miscarriage. Her father suggest we take a break on a private island he owns for the next couple of weeks. After taking to my uncle we went for three weeks.