Fathers

When the meal was over William pays the bill, "Are we still on for our squash game on Wednesday?"

"No I can't do Wednesday I have to go to Italy for a while how about when I get back?" Replies Giovanni.

"Call me when you get back and you're free".

"Will do look I know when you get married we won't be seeing a lot of each other. What with you starting a new life with your wife and all. I would like for us to keep our squash game appointments if possible".

"Giovanni you're my best friend in the whole world so I'll make sure I see you whenever I can. Like when I'm not doing overseas tours or hosting evening receptions with Eva at the palace. We need to find you a girlfriend didn't you like one of my fiancée's friends Caroline was it? I'm sorry I can't believe I just said that".

"Yes but I'm moved on to Eva's sister Faith instead but I doubt anything will come of it. You and Eva are in today's newspaper and there's photos from the engagement party in there too. Just you guys leaving the venue not actually inside the building. And as for Caroline the less said about her the better ".

I became so angry remembering what Caroline said last night at my engagement party.

After I had lunch with Giovanni I went back to the palace and catch up on some paperwork. As I was going through my draws I find a family photo. I was about seven years old in it. My siblings and I were making silly faces at the camera.
I put the photograph back in my drawer the wound was still too fresh. Dad calls my mobile phone and I answer it, "Hi dad what's up?"

"Maria and I are getting married in three weeks. We want to have a private ceremony in the grounds of the castle. We don't want to tell the public till we're actually married".

"Okay let me know the date and time and I'll be there. She's good for you dad Maria I mean and you can see she really loves you".

"I'm lucky to have her in my life William and she wants to try for kids as soon as we're married".

I say nothing for a moment because it felt like he was asking my permission to have kids with her.

"That's great dad and who knows this time next year she could have given birth already". I hear him let out a big sigh as if a weight was lifted off his shoulder.

"I hope so and I'll guarantee they have a good childhood".

He was blaming himself for what they did still, "Dad you didn't do anything wrong. Victoria and I turned out fine. Emma's mistakes are her own so was mum's".

"Thank you son but I should've known Victoria was going through the ringer".

"Dad, Victoria loves you very much and doesn't blame you for what mom did and neither do I. You get another chance of happiness real happiness. Dad hold on for dear life to it and don't let go".

"Ok son I will".

"I'll expect an email from you with the date and time of the wedding sometime this evening and dad I love you".

"I love you too son".

I walk into the kitchen and fix myself a cappuccino. I now had two happy things to look forward to.

Eva's POV

I arrive at work and a bodyguard opens the door for me and immediately I notice a change. The receptionist bows to me. "Morning Eva I mean ma'am".

"Eva is fine".

"I'm afraid I can't do that your father sent round an email saying the staff must call you that".