Prejudice

⚠️This chapter deals with racism⚠️

"A tour to Australia I can't wait", the excitement in Eva's voice was clear for all to hear.

"If you have any issues or questions regarding the tour write them down and I'll get my private secretary to answer them. The country has requested you do the usual laying of a wreath at the tomb of the unknown solider. Going to Bondi Beach and meeting locals. Eva make sure most of the clothes you wear on the tour is Australian including the clothes you get off the plane in".

"Yes your majesty".

When our meeting was over Eva went to her princess lessons and I went to see Mathew Clarke. He was an ex-friend who I stop speaking to sometime ago when he showed his true colours. I didn't want to meet him someplace private so we agree to meet at our club. I walk into the meeting and wasn't surprise to see Giovanni there, "I'm here so you don't punch him and ruin your reputation before you get married".

I glance at Mathew he was about 6'1 with blonde hair and green eyes. I want to say he looks like hell since I last saw him months ago but it would be a lie. He stands up when he sees me he was wearing black jeans and a blue shirt.

"I didn't think we would ever speak again. I'm sorry for what I said".

I sit and ignore his outstretched hand, "You could've told me that over a year ago".

"I was scared". Giovanni gives him a withering look.

"Why are you not scared now?" I ask.

"I saw Eva's face on tv at the memorial yesterday I'm sorry William I should never have told you to not date her because she's dark skin or black. If only she was light skin like The Crown Princess is".

"You're a racist Mathew all of us grew up together and yes we didn't see a lot of ethnic minorities growing up. Yet Giovanni and I never let that stop us from being tolerant".

"I was looking out for you man your reputation".

"His reputation?" Ask Giovanni in disbelief before I could say anything.

"She's brown skinned man no she's not she's actually black like proper black. I thought people wouldn't like her and hate you for dating her because you didn't at least go for a light one".

I was fuming, "You mean the Danish people who LOVE Eva. A former accountant who ran her own department. Who's so beautiful woman are fawning over her and men send love letters to. The same woman little black girls say looks like them and she's beautiful so I'm beautiful too ".

"I didn't realise she was so rich man and her father is a billionaire of course she would be loved by the people. She doesn't need your money so she's with you because she loves you".

"So she's okay because she's rich?"

"No William she isn't rich she's the exclusive 1% of the 1% she gets a pass". I wanted to punch him then remember who I was.

"We're done here". I stand and leave the room with Giovanni following me. "That racist prick how was he ever our friend?"

"You know I wondered why he never said anything bad about Debora. Now I know it's because her skin colour was the right shade for him".

Giovanni stop walking and turns to me. "I'm sorry man I genuinely thought he wanted to apologise. I've not spoken to him for over a year If I knew he was still a racist I would never set the meeting up."

I touch his shoulder, "I believe you". We walk out the building with our bodyguards. "I'm going to see Eva's father I'll speak to you later".

We hug, "Tell Eva I'll call her later".