Studying Together in Real Life

[Updated 12/30/20

Author's note: Here's the scene you might recognize – it's describing their first day hanging out at Xiao Nai's office, in the TV show. In this alternate universe it's their "second official date" after the arcade. (Well, maybe third date if you agree with Xiao Nai that their first date was their fish-head dinner at Mrs. Jiang's restaurant.)]

"What's this?" asked Weiwei, looking around.

Xiao Nai had taken her up an elevator. They were now in a hallway. He opened the door, which led them to a wide open space, furnished with desks, chairs, computers.

"It's our company," said Xiao Nai. "Zhiyi Tech."

Smoothing down her checkered black dress, Weiwei followed the senior in.

A toy robot caught her eye. She ran up to it. "Isn't this the puppet master from Dreams of Jianghu?" she asked.

"Yes," he said. Then, before she had time to get too excited about it, he added, "Come here."

She followed him through a red door. Inside was an even more impressive space. There were shelves lined with books. A very sleek desk sat atop a platform in the center of the room. It reminded Weiwei of the throne rooms in historical dramas.

"This is—?"

"—my office," he answered. "Can you study here?"

She looked around, with wide eyes. "Yes!" she answered, then settled into a chair. He took the seat behind his desk.

They sat for a while together, in silence. Not looking at each other.

It's so quiet, she thought. I can't focus. The silence was making her anxious. They'd also never been together alone.

The door could shut.

Anything could happen between them...

I can't believe I'm here alone with Dashen, she thought, and kept her gaze fixed on her book.

* * * * . . . . . .

. . . * * * * . . .

. . . . . . * * * *

[Xn's pov]

Xiao Nai watches from his desk as Weiwei sits with her book in front of her face. It reminds him of the time he sat next to her in her father's class. She'd also hid behind a book. Was this her defensive stance? Like a turtle behind its shell?

He's glad to see: she did wear a dress today! Maybe Yixiao Naihe isn't the only person she dresses up for. It is a modest, black-and-white checkered dress that she'd buttoned up to the top button. Still, she looks alluring.

And a bit nervous.

Maybe that's because they're alone for the first time. He feels a little guilty for bringing her here. And if he's going to be honest with himself, he does sometimes imagine the two of them together, there. Sometimes his imagination gets carried away before he reigns it in.

Mostly, he'd wanted to bring Weiwei here because he needs her to see: he's the real deal. Not just a college basketball star who gets good grades. He has a plan. For a life after university.

He needs to plant that seed in her mind ... the idea that they too can have a life after college, together. This isn't just a college romance. He needs her to start seeing that too.

Still, he hadn't meant to make her nervous. So he says to her: "Come and look at this."

On his screen, he's brought up the character designs for their next game.