The Way Home / So Soon

[Chapter posted 12/23/20]

[Author's note: So just to explain: this Fanfic merges into and out of the real LO2O TV universe. Meaning, it's going to briefly intersect with what actually happens in the TV show.  Then it'll go back into Alternate Universe. And then it'll eventually meet up/merge back into what happens in the TV show again, down the road. Just so you know. You might recognize a scene soon. Not in this chapter but the next one...]

On the scooter ride back to campus, Bei Weiwei felt the afternoon breeze go against her face. The day wasn't too polluted. Her eyes fluttered closed a little bit and she let herself enjoy the feeling of moving through the air.

There was, in her, a sense of gratitude. To Senior Xiao Nai 大神 (dashen).

Somehow, he'd figured out a perfect place to take her on their date.

She had been really worried! Worried that he would take her shopping, and she'd have to pretend to be delighted, and he'd have to pretend too.

Nai didn't seem like the type who would be a reckless driver. But she felt him speed up, leaning to one side while turning a corner.

Instinctively, she sucked air in and tightened her grip of him around his waist. Then she felt his back against her cheek. His cotton shirt smelled like a clean detergent that reminded her of childhood.

When they straightened out of the turn, Weiwei got ready to put a little more distance between them.

Then she thought, Why not. He really is... my boyfriend...

!?

So she kept her cheek pressed against his shoulder a bit longer.

She couldn't see Nai's face. So she had no idea that he was smiling.

* * * * . . . . . .

. . . * * * * . . .

. . . . . . * * * *

Xiao Nai dropped her back at the bridge where they met up. Somehow, bridges had become a big part of their life. She got a chill remembering the moment in the game, when she stood on that bridge selling medicine, and then heard a deep voice.

"Luwei Weiwei."

That day in the game. She then turned and saw that confident, somber white-robed figure with the long hair.

 She then turned and saw that confident, somber white-robed figure with the long hair

Now, so much later, here was the senior genius-sports-star in their college. Seated on a scooter, acting like they'd known each other for years.

His expression got serious.

"Weiwei."

She knew what he was going to ask.

"Xiao Nai," she said. "Let's have two more dates, away from all the spies and gossip. Then I'll be ready." She took a breath.