A... Shopping Mall? Really, Xiao Nai?

(chapter post date 11/7/20)

Nai watches as his furen climbs down from the scooter. He finds himself disappointed that the warmth of Weiwei's body is peeling away from him. She stands there on her own now. Somehow she seems so far away, and all he wants to do is to close the gap.

I'll have to think of other ways to get near her, he thinks to himself.

She knows I have a car, so I can't just keep showing up on a rental scooter.

Meanwhile, he's watching Weiwei as they walk toward the entrance of the giant building with shiny windows and chrome exterior. He's watching her reaction.

"A... mall?" she exclaims, turning to him.

She looks surprised. He can't resist teasing her a bit. In his deadpan way:

"I thought it'd be fun for us to go shopping."

Weiwei gives a bright smile and tries not to look disappointed.

Adorable. Hehe, Xiao Nai thinks. Hehehehehe.

She's standing there in the cutest, low-key outfit: a navy top that shows the curve of her waist and hips. Jeans, sneakers.

God. She's the only girl on campus who doesn't seem to care about getting dolled up around him. It's so attractive—how much she doesn't care. How much her beauty is irrepressible, no matter how many curtains she hangs up to keep out the sunlight.

In Nai's experience, when he walks across the campus plaza, there's a trail of girls and guys, left and right, who start checking their hair and makeup on their phones.

But this woman...

I don't think I've seen her look into a mirror once.

She doesn't even have a phone!

She eats with entire pieces of celery dangling out of her mouth. I've seen her in the cafeteria, gobbling up food like a blissed-out rabbit.

Nai almost laughs out loud.

He's pretty confident—shopping is not her idea of fun.

Even in the game, she wouldn't ever let him give her trinkets or accessories. She barely let him give her a present at their wedding. This woman won't even spend virtual money. Imagine how frugal she must be with real money!

Furen opens her mouth to speak:

"I guess it's a good thing that we're doing this. The last time I went shopping was... er—"

She trails off. He raises his eyebrows for her to finish the sentence.

"...er, for a very important interview."

Xiao Nai watches her try to convince him (and herself) that this is a great date. All he wants to do is grab her wrist and then pull her close to him, and call her "my wife."

But he knows she's shy. She's shy just about being seen with him on campus. And she's probably shy when it comes to being physically involved as well.

So Xiao Nai's trying to resist every urge he has to hold her.

He says, "Follow me."

* * * * . . . . . .

. . . * * * * . . .

. . . . . . * * * *

Weiwei followed Senior Xiao Nai, wonderingly.