Knockout

(chapter post date 11/24/20)

[Author's note: HI EVERYONE! I started a new job that's super hard. Just really, really hard. Dunno how I'm going to do it. Anyway I'll definitely keep updating... but sorry if it's slow sometimes...!

Anyway, I'm back now. Really missed all of you  💗 At least, this chapter is long. Really hope you guys like it.

.... Also author's note part 2: I don't know anything about Mortal Kombat. 😬 if I'm describing something in the game wrong!! For example... it probably doesn't have a leaderboard at the end, but let's just pretend it does.]

* * * * . . . . . .

. . . * * * * . . .

. . . . . . * * * *

Weiwei stood at the arcade machine. The bully stood beside her. He rolled his eyes but sighed.

"OK, whatever," he said. "If you really wanna challenge me, I'll just defeat you in a minute."

"Fine," said Weiwei. "But if I win, don't forget our promise: You'll stop taking your kid brother's money."

The guy's little brother stood to the side, just staring at Weiwei. She was focused on the screen. It was time to pick their avatars. Weiwei chose Sub-Zero. The assassin.

It was her opponent's turn to choose an avatar. But before the guy could make his selection, his phone rang. He answered. Shouting into the phone, he said, "Yeah, I'm over by the old arcades. Some crazy lady wants me to kick her butt in Mortal Kombat.... Yeah, no.... We'll be done in a second."

It'd been a long time since Weiwei played this game. But she didn't have any worries. Her mind was clear. She'd just let her reflexes take over on this one. It was like riding a bike. Or doing anything you learned as a kid.

Best not to think, really.

Weiwei's adversary chose Liu Kang.

"FIGHT" yelled the announcer.

And combat began.

Weiwei hunched forward and immediately began jamming buttons on her side of the arcade. For a second, her opponent stood there exposed. She slammed her Sub-Zero forward and did a low kick. Then a spin kick.

WHAT....?

"Dongdong, she's going to beat you!" the little kid squealed. He started jumping up and down. "Punch back."

Weiwei started laughing out loud. She whammed into her opponent again, while turning to the kid. "Why are you helping your brother?" she said with a chuckle. "I'm trying to save you and your allowance money here!"

Meanwhile, the older brother, who must have been named Dong, suddenly blinked and snapped forward.

Like he was waking up from a dream.

That's right, thought Weiwei.You're actually going to have to work, if you wanna beat me.

Suddenly he began playing fast too. Hitting combination moves that Weiwei hadn't seen before.

Oof, thought Weiwei. This guy's actually pretty good.

Normally Weiwei could basically beat almost 95% of random strangers playing at an arcade. With her eyes closed, on any game. Those were people who just played for fun. The other five percent... the outcome was unknown.

She hadn't expected this guy to be in the five percent.

Earlier, she overheard him saying to his little brother that he was on the leaderboard of this arcade machine. But she thought he was just lying.